FreeNAS Home Network

LevelOneTechs

I was inspired by your Video [Free Your Media: How to Build a Home Media Server]
so I went about acquiring my own platform to use as a catch all for my home server/networking needs.
What I ended up with was as follows:

SYSTEM SuperMicro 846E16-R1200B
SYSTEM BOARD X9DRI-F W/
PROCESSOR DUAL INTEL XEON E5-2620 2.2GHz 15M SIX CORE PROCESSORS INSTALLED
MEMORY 64GB (8X 8GB)DDR-3 ECC REG
HARD DRIVES 24x Trays Included, NO HARD DRIVES INSTALLED
RAID CONTROLLER Raid Controller Flashed to IT MODE
Backplane BPN-SAS2-846EL1
CHASSIS 846E16-R1200B
Power Supply 2x PWS-1K21P-1R
RAILS Generic Rails Installed

I replaced the included Controller with :
LSI SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s 8-Port SAS SATA PCI-E HBA RAID Controller

I was able to fuddle my way through the install process and got many of my home entertainment movies/tv shows on the server. I was very much looking forward to your group doing many more videos showing how to use this same server to run:

Plex Server ---- Entertainment

Transcoder ---- my raw mkvs to best possible compression plex capable format, semi automated input folder/output folder

PFsense ---- to replace my crappy retail router

Steam/internet cache ---- to reduce the time needed to up windows and games from steam, epic, origin, blizzard

Network share ---- to remove the need to store any thing on a cloud storage

Client backup ----

Network Video Recorder ----

It was my understanding that freeNAS was capable of doing all of these things, and that the platform I purchased should perform these tasks. I hope the community is giving you the hits you need as incentive to produce these videos. I think it would be great to have a video series that progressively builds on the previous videos to achieve most of these functions.

I have scanned youtube for these guides however I have not found much that builds on a common os/platform. If the community has guidance on this I would very much appreciate the direction.