FreeNAS Help W/ Disk shelf

Hello all.

I have a Dell poweredge R810 with a SAS9202-16E LSI card connecting to a netapp Disk self. I can’t see any of the drives and not sure what I can do next. Has anyone else had issues getting a disk self working with FreeNAS before?

THanks in advance.

What does the card say when you boot, before the OS?

What shelf model are you using, does it have an IO controller that needs to be setup?

Are the disks you are using supported by the shelf?

I am using the DS4486. The disks should be supported. There are 24 of them all 2tb purples.

The LSI controller says no devices connected.

So… That might be
An issue

Check all the power cables, plugs and internal jumpers and switches.

Unplug all but one drive to make sure it is not overloaded.

If you have a suitable sas to SATA breakout cable can you try connecting a drive direct to the controller to initialise it.

1 Like

How do you have the shelf wired? Both SAS cables from the controller going to the shelf, one to each IOM?

Is the IOM console showing any error messages?

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1119629

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1113327

1 Like

Freenas has no problems with diskshelves.
my setup is R710 with a LSI 9206-16e to a MD1200.

ssh into freenas and run camcontrol devlist
the output will be a list of devices on the hba bus, which should include drives, shelf controllers, back plans.

The one thing I have learned is make sure you update the firmware that’s able to be updated. I have learned with freenas its gets grumpy is the firmware is not inline with the hba drivers version.

double check your in the right ports on the shelf controllers

2 Likes

did you make any head way?

If you’re using SATA drives you have to have SAS Interposers.

Not always the case, my MD1000 yes you have to have interposes,the will not fit without them. My MD1200 on the other hand is different I have SATA and SAS together and it works just fine

1 Like

Gotten called up for duty with the National Guard. Just getting back to this. Gonna try to tackle it tomorrow.

2 Likes

Correct, but those aren’t Netapp disk shelves. Netapp disk shelves like the DS4243 & DS4246 require the SAS Interposers but OP said he has a a DS4486 so it might just work.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.