Freenas GUI and plugins stop working after some time

Hi. I am having this problem for a long time but now it’s getting on my nerve. A server/service is meant to be run indefinitely.

So I’ve gone through multiple major Freenas upgrades but this was going on from the start albeit not so frequently. Only ISCSI, SMB, and VMs stay alive when the GUI stops working.
I am thinking of disconnecting all drives wiping my OS SSD and installing Linux and letting it run for a week to see if it’s a hardware error. I can manage being without my NAS.

Does anybody have a better idea? If I wipe the OS and reinstall. What configs do I need to save to be up and running or should I go from scratch which I don’t mind.

Specs:
FreeNAS-11.2-U3
xeon 2670
32 GB ECC
ASRock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16
Pools:

• 3x3TB raidz1 HGST 3TB NAS
  • 3x3TB raidz2 HGST 3TB NAS
  • 6.5TB mixed striped

Plugins/VMs:

• Transmission
  • Plex
  • Ubuntu server PiHole
  • Ubuntu server Factorio headless

EDIT:
Forgot to mention I’ve build my first NAS with Linux, ZFS and some other services but can’t really remember if it had the same problems.

You can export your FreeNAS config, trying doing an install on like a USB stick, and import your config. Will at least tell you if its your OS media vs a problem with FreeNAS

1 Like

So running it of a USB. I think I will do that. Do the VMs and plugins transfer also?

When you import the config, it should import your pools, so it should find everything

1 Like

Well 4 days and it’s going without a crash. My boot SSD EVO 840 was connected to the internal sata controller but it’s not recommended to use those ports as boot devices. Now I swapped it and connected it to the chipset. With some feature called “aggressive power management” I think the boot drive was going idle after a while and I turned it off. So with those two changes fingers crossed it’s gonna work now. Also I didn’t wipe the boot drive.