Free Your Media: How to Build a Home Media Server | Level One Techs

add a dns entry in your local router or dns server that maps the local 192.168 ip to whatever name you like. way easier to deal with lot of devices on your network

your tv can be

teevee.yourhouse.local

Didnā€™t know you can do that with a router.

True, but Kreestuh also expresses a wish to backup some old photos in the video and Wendell talks about it as a gateway drug for other purposes. Thatā€™s why I mentioned it.

I liked the video but I didnā€™t really learn anything new. It went too fast. The software config was practically skipped so if I was building a media server this video wouldnā€™t help me.

1 Like

Routers are usually already doing something like that with router or modem even if they donā€™t tell you.

@wendell wonā€™t .local interfere with Zeroconf/Bonjour/mDNS?

In what way? Maybe a name collision? But normally that stuff happens after DNS lookup fails

I record OTA broadcasts using Plex DVR and a HDHomerun, personally. And, like, you can buy and rip your own Blu-rays too!

Obviously piracy is a big incentive to build a home NAS, and I imagine that is why many people do it. Thatā€™s the elephant in the room nobody talks about on legitimate sites.

Im betting they either created separate pools or they created each disk in its own vdev

Wikipedia talks about it being reserved in RFC 6762, and some sort of issue with Windows as well as Linux systems resolving via mDNS before normal DNS.

Oh lol, Macs. Yeah, thatā€™s I suppose an issue but internet registered internal domains leak information . In practice it works fine as long as there are no name collisions . Could substitute .internal for .local I guess if you wanted to be extra safe.

The docs waffle on whether or not it is a good idea but that stems from Macs wanting to look up .local with non dns technologies .

Hilariously without DNS freenas will work in a lot of cases as that will resolve over netbios/broadcasts lulz

I like to use something like mtdew.com internallyā€¦ nobody knew before now.

I use a RPi3 which runs LibreELEC as a media device which streams different online videos (soon it is able to run Netflix and Sky). Additionally, I have an external drive connected to it and some old Cisco NAS. Itā€™s easy to set up, small, power efficient and does itā€™s job :wink:

@Tjj226_Angel In LibreELECā€™s case, there probably exist addons for different television channels that allow you to legally stream their content for as long as itā€™s in their library.

Iā€™ve been pretty happy with Embyā€¦

Not just Macs, the big three commercial Linux vendors Ubuntu/Suse/Redhat all do this as well, mDNS lookups will happen before normal DNS.

Isnt that controlled by avahi service?

Just disabled it.

You could also modify your clientā€™s hosts fileā€¦

it is mdns<number>_minimal in nsswitch.conf; donā€™t know if Avahi service is just mDNS broadcast or what is listening for mDNS or both.

I would say that having to reconfigure every device that goes on your network is a sign of a problem with the configuration, not the client devices. .local is a reserved domain, it would be better to use something else.

Is .internal reserved in an RFC somewhere, or just a common made-up domain? Itā€™s not in the IANA Special Use Domain Names list.

If itā€™s not here, you can use it.

However, things are added periodically. Release schedule is here.

That said, I believe .private is a common one for internal use and will probably never be a registered tld. You can also use any domain that you ownā€¦ but, it can get complicated if you also want to use it publicly.

You can, but thatā€™s quite some work and not legal everywhere. There are still a ton of states/countries where breaking the copy protection even for private use is illegal.

Should have been shown and/or said then because if this is the case this guide isnā€™t going to help anyone throwing together 4 random hard drives.

Technically ripping DVDs is illegal in the USA also, as you are circumventing DRM with DeCSS and that violates the DMCA. There are various grades of illegality; nobody cares if you rip a movie from a DVD or Blu-Ray you purchased and own. But downloading that same movie off bittorrent or streaming it from a file-sharing site is a couple steps further up that ladder.