Free Open Source Linux CAD software

Any of you have any suggestions for free and open source linux software for PCB CAD in general and/or AOI (automated optical inspection) CAD in particular? kiCAD maybe?

1 Like

I have freecad installed but I have yet to use it. So this comment is useless.

3 Likes

It's only something I read about but KiCAD is the one mentioned most but there is also http://geda-project.org/

interested in AOI, found this:

1 Like

I used kicad last year to work on a simple mic preamp pcb.

Cannot compare it to other software, last time i did any serious pcb layout (over 30yrs ago) was using lightbox, transfers and marker pens.

I only wanted a simple pcb layout mask. Would have liked to skip the initial steps of creating schematics and selecting components, but made sense when i got to the layout process and it started to come together.

In addition to text reference/online searches, I found lots of helpful youtube content. The windows version was covered well in a number of videos on eevblog - that would give you opinion from someone who regularly used other pcb cad software.

1 Like

wine and sketchup.

I have LibreCAD installed but I have yet to use it. So this comment is useless.

1 Like

SketchUp you say? Please elaborate. High degree of accuracy?

Great above and beyond reply.

play on linux has a good wine config for sketch up. just down load the windows exe thten run with play on linux. in my use it was stable apart from a couple of freezes it worked fine. the linux cad software is very limited in my very limited experience

In my limited experience, I concur. :slight_smile: