Free API for stock information?

Hey everyone, quick question,

Are there any free APIs to get stock information from? Google Finance comes to mind, but I thought it was shut down? I found a stack overflow answer that seems to still work, but I'm not sure how reliable it will be going forward. Is Yahoo a good option?

Are there any out there that you guys recommend? I'm hoping to get NYSE, NASDAQ, and TSX (Toronto) if possible. I don't need anything real-time, a delay is fine I just want to play around with D3.js

If D3 is what you want to play with, you might be better with completely different kind of area of source information. For following reasons (from my point of view as a developer):

• exchanges have no interest to share that information for free as they have other financial institutions paying for data feeds (probably with exception of law-mandatory feeds).
  • since other financial institutions paid for it, they do not have incentive to give it for free.
  • also that institutions to process that information, that is and must (depending on market/financial instrument, type of feed) mainly done in real time, institutions build software infrastructure around the main data feeds - and that is a heavy cost
  • feeds change over time (new versions, new laws) - and that makes cost of software processing it even more interesting.

So if you find data feed for completely free it might not survive for long in that form or it is just informative site - presenting historical information (they also paid for that information).