Framework's Modular Laptop : Discuss!

What are you talking about. The price in the US would be for example 999*1.1 = ~1100USD given 10% tax. Then 20% VAT on top of that for importing into the UK is 1100*1.2 = 1318USD. Not including cost for shipping or possible customs duty. Even if you base it on the 999 without the US tax, you land at 1200 without shipping and customs duty. That would be a price increase of 11.5%. That is nowhere near 35%. I agree with @Exard3k you are either bad at math or not aware that importing into the UK is 20% VAT on the gross price including shipping.

FYI Framework is being shipped from Taiwan for the UK/Germany/France orders, so there won’t be any US tax involved. Which wouldn’t be involved anyways as exports from the US aren’t taxed.

EDIT: Apparently the prices are VAT inclusive as well.

2 Likes

This is a general consensus in all countries. VAT is always only payed at the destination country (usually collected by the duty/customs office when cross-national).

I’ve seen that german orders are expected to be shipped in february and march. If you get it in february, you might get it earlier than I get my Tuxedo from Leipzig. Ordered last week with 1-3 weeks of inhumane and torturing waiting time.

It should be send out in February at least, I ordered 2 weeks before they made the announcement and am in batch 8. Tuxedo is also a good company.

Its not avaiable in my region yet… :disappointed: :cry: :sob:

1 Like

No it’s not. Not at all. I said that 600 US dollars is 20% more than 500 US dollars.

That’s not the same as saying 750 yen is 5 GBP lol

You’re massively overcomplicating something that isn’t complicated. I’m saying that the Framework laptop costs 35% more, and tax doesn’t explain that, because the taxes aren’t 35%. That’s it.

Could you please stop misrepresenting what I’m saying? It’s fine that we disagree and that you think we should pay significantly more, but it’s not fine to put words in people’s mouths like that.

Again, what are you talking about? The base model without anything is 767USD + 70.16TAX = 837.18USD. This gross price is the base for the import into the UK where 20% VAT is added. 837.18USD * 1.2 = 1004.60USD. The base model without anything in the UK is priced at £769.00. That is 1040USD. It is 35USD more expensive.

Got my Framework! The device is much nicer than I anticipated. Even the keyboard types well. In my opinion definitely on the level with Dell and much more comfortable than whatever Apple is doing. Not as nice as the higher end Lenovos though, but close.

Can someone with an I7 model upload a Geekbench score, please? @SgtAwesomesauce

Here is the one from my i5.

5 Likes

What OS are you gonna put on it?

1 Like

Got one for my mom a couple day’s ago.
I’ve put fedora on it, work ok but i need to do some kernel modifications to enable back deep sleep power state. (They use zram now and I need swap space for dumping the ram)

The fingerprint is also very useless because gnome keystore dev refuse to consider it a secure entry point, and logging in with it force you to type the password to unlock the keystore.

Mostly software stuff, i am very happy about the hardware

4 Likes

I have put Arch Linux on it. Arch on a ZFS root to be precise!

2 Likes

Feeling daring today, aren’t we? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hey FBI Guy, remind me this evening to run geekbench on the Framework.

5 Likes

Here’s my i7, 32GB bench.

Wait, lol I’d TDP-down’d my laptop to 20w for battery life. I’m gonna eat dinner, then I’ll give it another go.

1 Like

Were the results you posted with the original TDP or the lowered one?

Also, can you please explain how you lowered the TDP, there was nothing about that in the Wiki!

Lowered.

I use this:

Because new Intel CPUS (frustratingly) don’t support undervolting with methods this tool supports, via MSRs (details on that later) I can only TDP-down the chip.

For that, I issue the directive power package 22 20 which means whole chip package is 22w for 0.2 seconds max, then 20w sustained.

The reason Intel disabled MSR undervolting is because some asshole wrote a whitepaper outlining how undervolting can induce instability which will allow malicious actors to take advantage of CPU errors to exploit code running on the system. This caused Intel to disable these MSRs. I believe they have another way to do it, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to make it work in Linux. IIRC, the Intel extreme tuning utility will do the needful for windows, but that’s not helpful for Linux.

I might have to hop on the framework forums to ask about it on Linux this weekend.

I’ve got the laptop with me today, I’ll do another test when I’m not rushing around.

2 Likes

I see. Have you made any benchmarks how much lowering the TDP improved the battery life? The only power saving feature is enabled on vanilla Arch so far is that I installed and enabled TLP.

So I’ve got TLP tuned and TDP-down enabled. I don’t think the TDP-down effects battery life much, but it does keep the fan from running so hard. I’m really just using it to program and compile Java stuff, slice 3d prints, write blog posts and look at technical diagrams while working on projects. The power that the chip has is really not needed.

Frankly, I’m one of those autists who likes a slient work environment when I can get one, so keeping the fan down is the biggest thing for me.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to explain all that. I am interested in prolonging the battery life. I will see if I can get some understanding of the power safe features in the future to maybe derive some sort of automated benchmark to see some actual values of the impact. I will check out the Git repo later, I am not going to install anything from a third party without checking it first.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve given it a once over, it pretty much just throws values at MSRs.

2 Likes