Fractal Pop Mini build idea(s)

I definitely when @wendell brought out the ASRock Rack motherboard think that this would be a perfect case for a follow up of DAT build, with both a TEAC CD drive and a LG custom flashed Libredrive for UHD Blu-ray.

It would contain a 16+TB single spinning rust drive in the main case compartment with some case modding (which I would like to see) and still have room for 2 drives, and use a SFX power supply.

Another build I would like to see is a 5700G passthrough build using Icy Dock U.2 removable NVMe docks and either a ITX or mATX X570 board. The reason why U.2 instead of the straight up NVMe carrier is because the U.2 connector can take 10,000 cycles. And changing the NVMe for the direct PCI-E Passthrough VM would be extremely handy, and would be even crazier if this was possible on ITX X570 boards that support both 2 NVMe slots and have decent onboard video outputs for the 5700G.

The Node 804 wouldn’t allow swappable NVMe like this but the Pop Mini is perfect for this with a SFX power supply. Who knows, if it has enough room you can put a U.2 Optane in there too.

That’s my two main build ideas for the Pop Mini: DAT build 2.0 with ASRock Rack or a 5700G Passthrough build with 2 Icy Dock U.2 hot swaps using either ITX or mATX X570 mobos.

1 Like