Fractal Design Define 7XL or Lian Li O11-dynamic?

What do you recommend for hot-swappable added bay for Fractal design Mesh 2 XL?

Define 7 XL

It’s nice but I feel the build quality isn’t that great compared to my old Lian Li V2120

It feels like a tin can

But it does the job - two Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280 - Black Edition (noob at water cooling -disclaimer)

Depends on how much you need to hot swap at once.
I use some different hot swap bays from Icy Dock.
https://www.icydock.com/index.php

They are on amazon, and probably a lot of other retailers. Donnu where you live.

1 Like

I have an 8 drive ssd icydock, takes up 2x 5.25 bays. It’s been great :+1:

Define 7 / XL will offer Optic Drive Bay support [1 / 2 respectively]. Define cases have the most pliability, going from Liquid Cooling Oasis to an upright storage server [some case internal adjustments, would have to be done]–> you’d need to purchase additional drive sleds, should you forecast additional drives [sold in pairs of 2.5in / 3.5in drive support].
If you need to address more 5.25 Bays [Hot swap drive hub, front peripherals, etc.], may need to look at likes of Phanteks Enthoo series [they also have a sizeable front stack for 3.5in]

I ended up with the fractal Meshify 2 XL What do I need to convert the 6x SSD/HDD trays to be hot-swappable or do I need to remove them and add something else? Same idea as the ones in the back of the Liam Li 011 Dynamic but they can be accessed through the side door.

No 5.25 bay or [easy] openings, for hot-swapping… You may want to look at a Backside Hotswap slot

Thanks How well do the external docking stations with usb work? Ive been looking for an 3.5" docking as well but I not finding them.

Here’s one reviewer, who tested both 2.5in / M.2 NVMe SSD variants

ok, thanks that helps

Ive been looking for just trays that can go inside the case that can accomodate 3.5 and fit in the cage that comes with the fractal

Those additional internal drive sleds, are hosted in pairs [2.5in or 3.5in]

Ok, I have those trays. What electronic component do I need to add to the tray to make it hot-swappable so anyone can pull the drive out without disconnecting cables for 3.5 inch drives inside the case. Baiscally like the 5.25 inch drives that are normally mounted on the outside but just mounted inside without the decorative face plate. In addition to the great option you posted above.

Not seen an accessory internal hot-swap plate [to date]. Hot-swap prominently working off 5.25in external bays, for mounting position and wiring conviences [+ since effectively a standardized physical interface]. The FD Define 7 / 7XL, does host 5.25in support [1/2 bay respectively], to accommodate such a hot-swap tray [whether using 3.5in / 2.5in drive(s)].

Ok, Thanks for taking the time to help with all the great info! Im looking at the Define 7

Hello everyone, I have a question that goes along this topic. I need to build a threadripper, dual 3080 system, with large storage. I am intending to integrate 16 to 24 SSDs 2.5" as I need to run large deep learning experimentations for a single user while on other instances making the system available to multiple users using docker instances [with 2 users with GPU access] and each docker container assigned to one SSD. For this project we obviously are going to need a high airflow case. While reading the review made by GN Best Cases of 2020. The cases that caught my eye were:

• Phanteks p500a digital
  • Lancool 215
  • Phanteks Entho Pro II

Specific interest is in mesh fronted cases. My question is: Is there any way to integrate and fix any of the following ICY Cool Cages:

• 1x ToughArmor MB924IP-B
  • 3x ToughArmor MB996SK-6SB
  • 3x ToughArmor MB998SK-B
  • 4x ToughArmor MB608SP-B
  • 3x ToughArmor MB996SP-6SB
  • 3x ToughArmor MB996SK-6SB
  • 3x ToughArmor MB998SP-B
  • 3x ToughArmor MB998IP-B
    *3x ToughArmor MB998SK-B

I am particularly interested in these cages to reduce cabling using Mini SAS SFF-8643 cables.

Please let me know your suggestions

Wouldn’t entertain Lancool 215, since its not in tune to the idear of MANY drives

Enthoo II would be best bet, but would support 15 drives at best IIRC

If you have the front door of the Define 7 XL open or off it will be like a mesh airflow case and allow you to have the storage capacity you desire. I have the case and it is very nice. You will need to buy extra drive cages though, as it only comes with 6

Hello, Thank you very much for your observation. Please let me know if any other cases come to mind. Also, do you know if it is possible to somehow fix any of the suggested cages to this or any other mesh cases?

Hello, Thank you very much for your observation. Please let me know if any other cases come to mind. Also, do you know if it is possible to somehow fix any of the suggested cages to the Define 7 XL either next to the PSU or right after the frontal fans. I really have no need for the hot swap capabilities of the Icy Dock cages. What I mostly care for is order and cable management offered by the cage itself and backplane.