Fq_codel vs cake for 4K streaming (ASUS Merlin)

Recently updated my ASUS router to the latest Merlin firmware and found it supports cake scheduling.

Unfortunately within the first few days of trying it, cake seems to really not like burst loads streaming 4K video.

Tried the same stream with fq_codel and it allowed the bursts to be untouched, but from what I know (which is not a lot) cake is supposedly better.

Merlin offers both a Automatic mode and a bandwidth setting “Manual” mode for cake.

What’s the best scheduler to use for 4K streaming?

Have you tried simple htb + sfq ?

How much bandwidth are you trying to push through and what CPU are you using on the Asus?

100Mbps down, 50mbps up without overhead.

I’m using Smart Queue with a Edgerouter X upstream for the PPPoE WAN, but I’m trying to QoS my VPN tunnel and that has basically no bandwidth limit at the endpoint. ASUS Router is basically my VPN router.

Smart Queue has to be in place for the Edgerouter because our family’s VoIP service is tied to that Edgerouter.

For 1080p low latency, cake adapts very fast. For burst streaming like normal latency 4K livestreams, cake doesn’t like the bursts.

Never double up your VPN with QoS flow control or TCP inside TCP. These things overreact exponentially when combined.

Not sure if that applies to you. Just saying.