Four base units of measure in the metric system about to be changed

3 Likes

The TL;DR

The four units under review are the ampere, kilogram, mole and kelvin.

Several metrologists involved in bringing the changes to a vote have acknowledged that most people will neither understand the changes that have taken place, nor notice that a change has occurred.

4 Likes

seems like you are better at writing titles than me :wink:

3 Likes

The average person as mentioned will neither notice nor care, as we arenā€™t measuring things day to day with the level of precision these changes are relevant at.

No doubt, some imperial unit fucktards will still bring it up as to why the USA can never go metric or whatever. :smiley:

And like @anotherriddle pointed out in his topic, scientific research will benefit. Nice to see revisions and changes where everybody wins.

Damn I realized last time I used (or needed) mole or kelvin was in chemistry and physics class in high school. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey the states aint alone yo, Liberia and Myanmar donā€™t use SI standards either :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, agree. No hassle for everyday users and benefits for scientists. I am using all those units all the time and I have to say we already often use multiples of physical constants. The good thing is, that the standard stops drifting around and we now have measurement accuracies to 10^-8 kg.

Do you think I should merge my topic in here? It does not really make sense to have two and there are more comments here. Some people might be interested in the links I posted, thereā€™s a bit more info there.

Well, the United States of America also are members of the BIPM. @thro The USA are already using SI units, the general public just doesnā€™t like to admit it :wink::
https://www.bipm.org/en/about-us/member-states/

Im not sure if I ever would be able to get my head around to the US measurement units. I can kind off understand the units for length, but everything else is just too much for me. :smile:

That video you linked was nice.

1 Like

The same for me. But itā€™s not really an issue, we have computers (or mobile phones) to do conversions for us now :slight_smile:

If you liked it and want something to laugh, here is another video :wink::

3 Likes

You should try growing up in the UK. The whole way through school you are taught SI metric units, all text books use them all science and maths questions will use themā€¦

ā€¦and then you learn to drive. All sign posts are in miles, and speed limits in miles per hour, and motorway exit signs tell you when you are 300, 200 and 100 yards from the exit. Somehow it all works until someone asks you how economical your car is, and you realise, they expect an answer in miles per gallon. Your odometer works in miles, so no problemā€¦ ā€¦except you buy fuel in litres!

God dam it, Australia, Canada and Ireland all swicthed from imperial to metric for the roads, all the UK European neighbours (you know the countries you will probably take your car to) use the metric system and yet somehow the UK never did, and probably never willā€¦

ā€¦still, you book a flight to the USA and think everything there will make sense because they too have clung on to imperial measurements. Ha you feel even more fucked there, how much do you weigh? 15 stone? An American has no idea what that is, best convert it to pounds, except you canā€™t. Why? Because you were never taught how many pounds were in a stone! FFS. Nice car youā€™ve rented, how economical is it? 50 miles to the gallon, sounds good, better than my car back home, except wait a minute a US gallon is smaller than an Imperial gallon FFS! Are US inches and feet the same as back in the UK, have I shrunk? I donā€™t know, no one ever taught me, I best go look this shit up. :joy:

3 Likes
1 Like

(starts in 43 minutes, donā€™t expect anything exciting or you will be disappointed :wink:)

1 Like

Iā€™ve visited UK couple of times (once in London and once in Edinburgh), but I didnā€™t notice this dual usage of metric and imperial systems, or didnā€™t pay enough attention to notice. :smiley:

My sister worked in the UK for a few years and I remember her mentioning couple times how it was on few occasions odd to have two systems in use.

After reading your post I thank you for the opportunity, but Iā€™ll pass. :smiley:

1 Like

Here is a side note of fun for you if I could cite a sourceā€¦The UK road system actually does in part use metric. All the emergency vehicle signs are metric, they are very plain though and not like regular road signs, more just markers. Donā€™t remember where I heard this but it adds to the confusions and fun of your contradictions noted.

Thereā€™s a gang of misrable old gits who go around screwing with them, I think my dad might be a member :smiley:

1 Like