Fountain Pens, Other Pens, Pencils, and Stationary

What are people writing with this year?

Love fountain pens. Figure I oughta get one again. Suggestions?

I got tired of using scratchy pens at work, so I’ve been bringing my Levenger L Tech 3.0 with a TWSBI medium nib and Iroshizuku Syo-ro.

Budget?

Love fountain pens, i have a few but the ones i use most of the time are the green Hero 616 Jumbo and the Pilot Metropolitan Pop, they are cheap (especially the Hero) so i don’t have to worry that much when i carry them around and the nibs are quite smooth despite the price, of course not as good as the Pelikan M200 or the Sheaffer Snorkel but good enough for me :grin:
I also have a Pilot Parallel that i use sometimes to play a bit with calligraphy and flourishes :grin:

I might like a fountain pen but the only place I’d ever use it is at work and I’d be too worried about it walking off at work.

Preferably less than $20. The nicest drafting pencils I’ve bought have all been less than that so… Writing instruments, to me, are meant to be used a lot, so something that can hold up for a good long while whilst being inexpensive enough for me to not worry about it too much is my ideal.

Probably a Pilot Metropolitan then. Cheap, sturdy, and write well.

Plain Jane silver one on Amazon for $13

Or a Jinhao of some sort.

1 Like

Oh, turns out the Lamy USA website has a 50% off sale. Could get a Safari for $18.50.

https://www.lamyusa.com/index.php/writing-instruments-25/fountain-pen/fountain-pen-lamy-safari.html

1 Like

There are a couple other color/nib combos for fairly cheap (for a gold nib) as well.

Well I just got one of these

Duragraph in fine

1 Like

I recently treated myself to a pilot vanishing point, I love this pen.

I also got a couple of new inks.

Does anyone make a stonewashed grey fountain pen preferably in titanium?

Sadly not everything at once (for a reasonable price)

Kaweco makes stonewash but the closest to grey is black and they are aluminum

I saw the stone washed blue sport may go with that since it matches one of my knives.

Neil Degrasse Tyson on his collection

Also Pelikan M200 in Medium with Sailor Kiwa-Guro:

1 Like

I couldn’t help myself. A gold nib pen in a color I like for under $70 to my door? I’ll take it.

When I did architectural drafting I really loved using Rapidiogragh pens.

As you can see they are ultra precise thickness rated in the millimeter thickness of the tip. But they are a major pain to keep clean to prevent them from drying out and clogging up. A Rapidiograph has a hypodermic like tube with a hardened tip and a tiny needle inside that touches the paper to stir up the ink. Once I got used to them (you have to hold them vertically or they don’t make a precise line) I used them for everything. They also make disposable pens with felt tips that are almost as good and better for casual use.

Once drafting moved to AutoCAD we used a plotter that could exchange Rapdiograph pens from a cassette and the robot arm would go side to side and the (34" by 44" E size was the biggest that would fit) sheets of paper rolled back and forth. We also had an ultrasonic bath we would put them into every night. Once large format plotters started using inkjet they sorta became obsolete, but some artists still use the pen plotters. The pen & ink on paper line quality is way different than an inkjet print.

When I became a graphic designer I was surprised that everybody drew with Bic pens or Sharpies.
No lie, once you learn do design with a Bic, one can do awesome work.

1 Like

i do love my 3776. Good choice