Forum Poll: Interest in FOSS Hardware?

Over the next few months I’ll be going after some FOSS hardware, both current and past, to test and play with, and probably integrate.

Such hardware includes:

pinebook and similar machines
amigaOne X1/5000 (can’t decide tbh)
amigaOne A1222
Pegasos II (harder to find ;-:wink:
and probably old world macs

I need to know community interest tho. I mostly want to write hardware reviews and have some in depth data on a more public website, and no one is reviewing these aside from the pinebook.

Hell the peg is from 2007.

Anyways: would ya’ll be interested in any of this stuff?

• yae
  • nae
  • yae (comment your hardware suggestion)
  • I don’t care about FOSS hardware

0 voters

thanks

Olimex makes all of their stuff open source. I’d love to see them get more attention. Their blog, while not updated with specific regularity, is one of my favorites with the way they pull back the curtain on things that happen during their development process. They also give back to their community a great deal by attending/hosting teaching events and giving away hardware on their blog.

Blog:

Store:
https://www.olimex.com

Much of their stuff trickles in to electronic supply houses in various countries, but obviously there will be a delay between brand new hardware and quantities being shipped overseas from Bulgaria. It’s been a while since they have had an exciting SoC released, but people more interested in the Arduino and DIY electronics side of things (vs the typical Pi usage for media/home server) might find their stuff interesting, such as their ESP32 boards and EXT connectors for adding sensors to their Arduino compatible devices.

3 Likes

I’m saving that site for sure they have controller replacements for cnc mills.

@wendell I’d love your in for tthis.

Does this refer to the firmware being free?

All of it.

I’m using a powerbook, which has openfirmware, and my desktop for the last few days has been a sun blade 2500. These are examples.

Literally whatever FOSS hardware I care about. And most of the time theres nothing about them review wise.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at the Rapter Talos II after Linus’ video on them. It may be developer-focused, but it seems to work just fine as a regular or even gaming PC.
If my current X99 rig ever dies, I just might go with that.

My laptop is off most of the time, my other computers are stationary, have separate devices for audio / video recording, all of them are running open operating systems. I’m fine on those.

I would only be interested in FOSS smartphones / always on, always connected devices… stuff that has the capability to (for lack of a better term) spy on me.

The System76 Clevo Laptops and Thelios need more love.

3 Likes

The raptor is on my interest list but I don’t think I want one anymore. Power demands plus heat equals D:

But if theres ewer an opportunity to use one, there will be endless testing for sure.

lel meme76

If their online shit worked I’d have an oryx, but tthey kisda fuckedthat up for me so echs dee to that.

Tho I do really want a bonobo XT…

1 Like

Just ask @wendell to order one for you. Or call them.

hey @wendell can I borrow a s76 laptop

Why don’t you just order one yourself? Like seriously its called money… They have product… You like product… Website has order button… Configure. Boom… Credit card info. Some logistics and done… Why add a middle man?

Gaming? Really. I kept an eye on the power thread which had a lot about this system in it, though it was just reading to accrue information I never actually understood it, but gaming never once came up there. That is very interesting to hear.

Someone working for a BIG science lab speedran portal 2 while their biotests ran lol.

legit go talk to ppl on irc

1 Like

I guess I’m missing something. How can hardware be free and open source software?

1 Like

That is awesome. How does the game run, surely it is compiled for x86? And as for irc I would be the noobiest of the noobs there, in would only be acquiring information because I am a collector of ideas and random facts rather than for any actual learning purpose.

System76 announced they’re porting their boards to Coreboot.

That’s huge on the FOSS front. Was very happy to hear that news and got me interested in them again.

1 Like