Return to Level1Techs.com

Forum Meta Discussion 2019 3rd Edition

meta

not within the last 3 months

thread making guide permanently pinned in wiki category

0 Likes

I agree categories as default is a great idea. Good threads too often times get buries…

Like the default live feed just buries most things that need more exposure to get going and all that remains visible is older active threads

2 Likes

that’s why I pinned things but stopped after seeing that worthwhile threads get attention on their own

0 Likes

Pinning just seems like a bandaid though. Discourses layout is generally prone to what occurs

I definitely thank you for doing so though but it seems you and sarge are the only ones who do. So it’s a losing battle eventually lol

0 Likes

I use latest exclusively to be fair

0 Likes

I’ve tried to layout the forum with the different options. Can’t seem to find one that’s best yet.

I think overall new ideas… Fresh blood is a great idea though. Like things get stagnant without a constant influx. The environment needs to be setup for such a deal though.

0 Likes

fresh who though? staff or new members? honestly the last time we had a large influx of users from the ltt crossover it solidified the helpdeskiness of the forum and I hated it

2 Likes

Was fun in a way. A bunch of new avatars asking slightly new questions.
It shows how good we as a community were/are at troubleshooting.

0 Likes

If help desk is how we attract… Then that’s fine but we need to lock them in by showing them other content. Ending fanboyism helps to allow that to come through

1 Like

Yes but that is also what’s killing engagement between users. We’re a bunch of people trying to help others while not really interacting with each other, and in the most extreme circumstances, being hostile when two users have two solutions to the same problem and tear up the thread over it.

I’m not able to watch the forum on weekends anymore but get your ass ready for a wave of threads in a few hours

1 Like

Idk about new staff. You know we have alot. Maybe its not always great to keep staff forever idk? Rotations maybe? Term limits but can be staff again
:joy:

0 Likes

no point in arbitrarily demoting people for “being stale”, which is subjective. The other issue is having qualified users which for the most part all of them have been selected by now

tl4 isnt something to be passed out like candy on Halloween

0 Likes

What happened?

0 Likes

nothing, I got ideas for threads
and an update for my habitat blog

2 Likes

No… Not demoting for being stale just rotating… Not making it personal? It never has to be personal.

0 Likes

rotating is demotion for those being taken out and promotion for those going in, there is no other way to view it

0 Likes

Yeah but why does that have to be a bad thing? Or at least its being suggested as poorly received Just shield and unshield?

0 Likes

because tl4 were vetted out of the entire userbase by their interactions, offered the opportunity, accepted it, and continued to do what made them stand out. Taking away all of that for “rotation” or however you want to dress it up is garbage.

I’m not opposed to new staff but leaving should be exclusively voluntary.

0 Likes

Hold on I never said demote tl4s I said shield and unshielded tl4s

Nobody would lose their trust level. Moderators just have different perms but same trust level

0 Likes

That’s not addressing the underlying issue. Moderators are users too. No offense but I don’t want certain users just “rotated in” to make forum altering decisions.

1 Like