Return to Level1Techs.com

Forum Meta Discussion 2019 3rd Edition

meta

makes mods feel more like people rather than opaque overlords

2 Likes

That’s why I try to have more interaction. Also, I like participating in the forum. I’m not here for a power trip.

1 Like

I want both

2 Likes

I’ve felt pretty similar. We all have expertise in different areas of varying degree as well.

Some of us are nutty engineers who work on cars on our past times amingst other things… Others are really good at IT. They know what kubernetes even is (I literally found out yesterday)… Definitely could use an injection of many skilled users and maybe even groups passion.

I’m afraid I was partially guilty for this. I definitely made a thread that turned into that. I was trying to go for objective discussion and I was also trying to see if I could connect the command line gurus with the GUI junkies but man that definitely did not happen. I think if they just listened to both sides needs amazing stuff would happen. I think that can go for the forum as a whole. I’m not trying to point the finger at the Lounge but I’m going to point the finger at the lounge. Look the lounge is cool and its a fine place but people other than “regular users” should be invited to share their ideas of a post there without being driven out by ridicule. I’ve noticed that. I know I’m not the only person to notice it either.

If the direction of the forum wants to spawn ideas and create content within the forum. Well the only way to do that is an industrial engineer brainstorm type process.

The process is simple everyone brings there ideas to the table. That table is some off topic spot people are allowed to commune. Nobody shoots down any idea. Then eventually at the end. People can sit and talk. Users interested in helping a user do so can draft and talk about it in a PM. That’s how it should be not saying it will be like that.

I’m going to piggy back off of this. There are new users who try to come and get an opinion. I definitely try to provide it. However to often to many times I will see a reply from a user that’s fairly regular or simply is fanboying his butt off about something and proceeds to reply to everyone else but the OP. This kind of fanboyism has to go out the window. Whether its AMD vs the world or IRMAGERD (kek) my Desktop environment will defeat all and smash all (evil laugh). That should just be moved into the lounge or blackholed. If your aim is to help the OP. Reply to the OP constructively not other people argumentatively. We have had our examples.

Sorry to bring you two into this but @MazeFrame @MasterNurmi … Numi mentioned the other day when I talked about making common every day LED powered things. Numi stated that it would be wonderful to make those things but only Maze and I had any clue what we were doing. I think there’s a spot for maker space in the wiki. Its a tech forum engineering and maker stuff is still tech. It doesn’t have to be above peoples heads.
I think it would be pretty cool to see people post their 3D print designs or circuit stuff but again the lounge has to not just be a shit so but an area where people can talk out an idea without being completely crapped on. I mean jokes here and there occasional shitstorms that’s lounge culture but its gotta be good natured.

Now kewldude mentioned moderation in the OP. Moderators could be well more involved tbch. Our rules are fine I’ve never seen an issue with them in fact I protested all the new ones created because there was no need all that was needed is more involved moderation. Its not a powertrip like some claim. Moderators are normal people with normal every day desires.

Alright well you all know me. Circa late 2015-2016-2017 I generally was absent. It for the most part was my own break as I focused on my career and explore other communities etc
Here’s a systemic problem I’ve seen. After all the issues I mentioned calmed down. Well the whole entire forum just simmered. In fact most of those users will leave because well their egos and feelings got hurt because the decision did not lay in their favor. That is pretty ridiculous. If you don’t believe this occurs? Look at the forum activity since April till now. The forum is well been a bit of a help desk thread collection for a while. The lounge is not a good measure of the forum. I think engagement should not be forced but more encouraged. If you sit in the lounge all the time I guarantee you will get burnt out if you don’t visit other parts of the forum. Also in the lounge, just because a user is different than you or has a different sense of humor doesn’t mean mass drama needs to occur. So what if they are different. Talk to the user and get to know them … Might even help your own self to get to know many different folk.

As for blogs. I find some interesting. I see a lot of cool ones but I can’t help but wonder. Is this a need for other users engagement? People want to talk about their things they are passionate about but they can’t seem to find a common group? Idk how to feel about them.

All I want to see is people including the oldest of users open to new ideas

I’ve thought about more but well I need coffee :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I like the Makerspace idea. I don’t know how to code but I’m pretty good hands on. Having some mentorship in the crafting of my ideas would be great. I would like to learn more about coding but don’t have time…or maybe don’t have enough interest as I don’t see the application for it. Perhaps if I combined making something that needs some coding as well I would have more incentive.
One idea I have is to control pwm traction devices with steering input.

1 Like

A bunch of things, loosely related at best:

Observed the same. Strong opinions of TL4’s have lead to threads beeing locked and OP not getting anywhere.

I agree. The “spreadsheet of doom” that is latest really drowns the in-depth, DIY and general effort topics in noise.

Seperation can be made hard(er) between categories and sections.

Example of how discourse can look from Blizzard forums.

As mentioned earlier, harder seperation may help. If the wiki section was hard divided from the main forum, it would be “accessible” because there is a place to just browse it.

Who would have guessed…

If possible, maybe try make that the default view for everyone?
Maybe reducing the “in your face” aspect of the spreadsheet-like default will boost engagement and visibility.

Everyone here (except a few bots) are human. Why not behave like that?

Yet community projects (community game night, anyone?) went nowhere. It is sad and I (currently) lack the time to change that in any way.
I think the L1T User Reference Lookup Thread is brilliant. It just needs a bit more exposure.

Having a “DIY corner” or “Makerspace” category would be nice. My Electronics corner is in blog. Blogs are broadcasts, one author to many. Threads are for discourse, colaboration!
I would like a bunch of likeminded and the ones who want to try get together and do things. Have an “Oasis for tinkerers” type thread.

My Two cents or more:

• There have been no new rules communicated, begs the question if new rules were made

• The Rules Thread does not offer any links/helpful reads on how to make a good thread

• The “showcase” for projects that was mentioned in some previous Meta Discussion did not happen or was not communicated where to find it (if the 2nd, nullifying the showcase aspect).

• Community get-together threads were fun and games, then two ruined it for everyone. It died down by itself. And then, just to remind everyone it existed, it got locked a week or two after. That are justice-system levels of delay between offense and “punishment”.

• I irregularly visit TechPowerUp Forums. It is different over there. Much more lively and less “neighborhood get together” like this is.

0 Likes

not within the last 3 months

thread making guide permanently pinned in wiki category

0 Likes

I agree categories as default is a great idea. Good threads too often times get buries…

Like the default live feed just buries most things that need more exposure to get going and all that remains visible is older active threads

2 Likes

that’s why I pinned things but stopped after seeing that worthwhile threads get attention on their own

0 Likes

Pinning just seems like a bandaid though. Discourses layout is generally prone to what occurs

I definitely thank you for doing so though but it seems you and sarge are the only ones who do. So it’s a losing battle eventually lol

0 Likes

I use latest exclusively to be fair

0 Likes

I’ve tried to layout the forum with the different options. Can’t seem to find one that’s best yet.

I think overall new ideas… Fresh blood is a great idea though. Like things get stagnant without a constant influx. The environment needs to be setup for such a deal though.

0 Likes

fresh who though? staff or new members? honestly the last time we had a large influx of users from the ltt crossover it solidified the helpdeskiness of the forum and I hated it

2 Likes

Was fun in a way. A bunch of new avatars asking slightly new questions.
It shows how good we as a community were/are at troubleshooting.

0 Likes

If help desk is how we attract… Then that’s fine but we need to lock them in by showing them other content. Ending fanboyism helps to allow that to come through

1 Like

Yes but that is also what’s killing engagement between users. We’re a bunch of people trying to help others while not really interacting with each other, and in the most extreme circumstances, being hostile when two users have two solutions to the same problem and tear up the thread over it.

I’m not able to watch the forum on weekends anymore but get your ass ready for a wave of threads in a few hours

1 Like

Idk about new staff. You know we have alot. Maybe its not always great to keep staff forever idk? Rotations maybe? Term limits but can be staff again
:joy:

0 Likes

no point in arbitrarily demoting people for “being stale”, which is subjective. The other issue is having qualified users which for the most part all of them have been selected by now

tl4 isnt something to be passed out like candy on Halloween

0 Likes

What happened?

0 Likes

nothing, I got ideas for threads
and an update for my habitat blog

2 Likes