Return to Level1Techs.com

Forum Meta Discussion 2019 1st Edition

@Phantom seems to have removed the filter :slight_smile:

Thank you @Phantom!

1 Like

From what I understand the requirements and permissions for the trust levels can be tweaked on the admin side and mods can upgrade/downgrade users manually, but the basic framework is always going to be there. I believe Eden was the one that manually set me to TL2 a while back?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the jist of it. I don’t know if we can let users see their own requirements for leveling up or not though.

0 Likes

Hey, if you say it doesn’t then alright. Just saying whenever we have town hall meetings or similar there’s always the blanket “no shitposting” statement. And when people do it outside of the lounge they get called out.

0 Likes

Maybe we need a “Welcome New Users! Read for how Discourse and the Forum work” post in addition to the rules? With the basics of how to post (or begin the tutorial with Discobot), how/where to change account settings, the difference between the trust levels, how trust levels are (automatically) assigned, and who the leaders/mods/admins are?

1 Like

You mean here?

Lol, trust level/forum info is the 2nd post

1 Like

Ayyy. Like make it one of them non skipable video game type things for new users.

Should/might cut down on spam.

0 Likes

Yes, they kids are out of control.

2 Likes

Sorta? I’m sure there have been tweaks on this forum, so it would be nice to have the details concrete.

Plus having all the other stuff I mentioned too.

2 Likes

That would probably get skipped or scrolled through pretty fast. :thinking:

I just realized you wrote “non skipable”. It’s probably best I go to sleep and stop making a fool of myself today. (stupid cold)

Still, I don’t know that there is a good way to force people to listen to a guide or formu rules.

1 Like

Yes, I go to that page fairly often to figure out or remind myself what each level can do. Goes back to the feeling of being overly complicated.

My issue is there is no (apparent) way for the user to know where they are in the progress of gaining the next level or if they are close to falling back to a lower level. I’m not manually monitoring everything I do, every like I give or receive, how many threads I visit and reply to.

4 Likes

Yeah. I am unaware if we can show that information to individual users or not. Das above my paygrade.

0 Likes

That’s kinda what I figured. I have no idea if discourse has that functionality.

I feel like it might improve the community as a whole. More people would be more active, striving to become a regular if they knew what was needed to achieve it. I’m thinking a lot of people bounce between 2 and 3 without really knowing why.

But, yeah, point’s made.

0 Likes

Here’s some thoughts from the new guy.

First, thanks @Kat for clearing up the trust level hierarchy here. I didn’t know there’s a difference between Leaders and Mods.

I can understand why some things are limited to certain trust levels, like who gets to see the Lounge etc, and I don’t see any point changing this. Only thing that is annoying me is the like :heart: limitations, that I hit yesterday and also today. Since it does not limit the usability of the forum nor possibility to contribute that much I don’t think this should be changed. It just, well, nags me a little. :smile:

I also don’t see any problem with mods/leaders. TBH L1T forums seems to have quite level headed staff when comparing to some other places I’ve been in. In general staff seems to keep the discussion civil and polite. When I first joined I got warm welcome from pretty much everyone, and I do want to believe any place is (at least partially) what the leadership is shaping it to be.

I know L1T is tech oriented forum, but would it be possible to have some sort of DIY category in the forums? Maybe sub category in Blog or something? I know this might end up being quite unused category but, well, this just came to my mind during Christmas holidays when I was working on my small DIY/crafts related adventure. :slight_smile:

Lastly, I know this thread is not about what happened yesterday in the Lounge, but I’m not entirely talking about that either. So here goes: Would it be better to suspend badly behaving individuals from the Lounge (or from the whole forum) instead of closing the thread and punishing the innocent bystanders? If someone does not take the leaders/mods warnings seriously then suspend him/her for the next 2 to 12 hours and see if that would help him calm down?

4 Likes

I am in firm belief that users should have unlimited likes .

3 Likes

I was going to open it up but it was like an hour until the new one so didnt see the point.

Id probably go with tagging it with DIY and put in in the related category. e.g. DIY robots? Post in #science-engineering

Unless theres a big uptick in diy projects needing its own whole category.

2 Likes

okay, I see an opportunity for my new year resolution :grin:

4 Likes

Badges should also be handed out more frequently. People don’t have the badges that they should have

4 Likes

Gotta ask mods will do it

2 Likes

We should have a tree of badges, sprawling to the innermost depths of our souls.

1 Yr Linux
|   |   |  
|   |   |
G   K  G2
|   |   |
E   D  SA
|   |   |
P  SE  SA2

Okay, so the tree idea doesn’t really workout, but hear me out:

After the 1 Year Linux badge there can be preferred platform (that doesn’t lead to violent bloodshed):

G = Gnome (Budgie, Cinnamon, Gnome3 fall under this)
K = KDE Plasma, Neon, KDE4
G2 = Gnome2, XFCE, MATE

Then we could have another class, especially in the job hunt threads:

E = Evangelist/Enthusiast.
D = Developer
SA = Linux Admin

P = Pioneer
SE = Systems Engineer
SA2 = Systems Architect + Lunch with Wendell?

Have the same with Windows, WebDev, Devember, etc.

Also, Freqlabs and the other 2 Unix guys should get a BSD badge :grin:

Then in the Help Desk/Wiki threads we could pin/@ someone that has the associated badges. :thinking: I feel like this idea was discussed before…

6 Likes