Forgot win10 admin password

The Windows 10 laptop is connected with a Microsoft account and I tried to reset the account password online but the computer refuses to recognize the password. What’s should I do?

verify if it works at all by logging into hotmail on another device

Basically you want to crack your own laptop? Is that what your asking?
There are two methods I know of:

1. fastest, easiest, quickest: just reinstall Win10
  2. You can edit the password file using Linux from a bootable thumbdrive. There is a utility for that.
1 Like

I just scanned this article and it looks like what I have done many times in the past for people who sure who want to reset their own computer’s passwords.

2 Likes

Please observe that OP is trying to sign into a microsoft account rather then a normal local windows account. That article will not work for OP.

Check that the computer is connected to the internet, otherwise, the password will not update on the laptop. Also, as @kewldude007 recommended, try logging in to your MS account on another computer.

I have used this with good results. There a few tutorials that will guide you through its use.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

1 Like

I am not sure if the login account was set to MS account but I did attach a MS account after adding a password for login.

Yes. The laptop is connected to Internet.

It seems like there is some misunderstanding as to what is actually happening; ie, the computer is connected to what, password to which account; can you describe with more detail? How exactly did it happen? What are you trying to achieve? Can you login to the computer as ‘guest’?

typical bypass methods dont work on a linked accounts password

you might be able to boot something like kali linux to use chntpw to enable the local administrator account

2 Likes

Oh I see, good to know. Thanks for the info.

You can gain access by activating the hidden Administrator account. Boot with Windows install disk and you can activate the Administrator account using a registry tweak:

or convert your Microsoft account to a local account with a bootable CD/USB:
https://www.top-password.com/knowledge/change-locked-microsoft-account-to-local-account.html

Or bypass the login screen with kon-boot:
https://www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot/

1 Like

A must- use way for Windows password recovery is to remove password,unless you get another ways to get into computer.

Please follow the steps below:
1 Open the sign in screen for Windows 10 and click on the following link “I forgot my password”.
2. Type in the CAPTCHA characters shown on the screen and click Next to recover your account.
3. Now you need to verify your identity for which you will receive the security code. Just select how you want to get the security code (either by email/text message) to verify your account. Click on – Send Code button to proceed.
4. Check your text message or email to check for the code. Type in the code in the given field. Click Next.
5. On the next screen, you can reset the password by typing a new password for the Microsoft account. Click- Next.
6. On the next screen, you can see the message showing “password has been changed successfully”. Click- Next.
7. Now you will get the sign-in screen back. You can log in using your new password.

1 Like