Return to Level1Techs.com

Forget it. I'm switching to BSD

I’m at work on it right now. I was busy this morning but now I’ve got the rest of my day to get it right. I think I know exactly what’s wrong too

the bajillionth fork…:grinning:

Well, the funny thing is about an hour ago I found out that it wasn’t a Ralink chipset and Asus has screwed up documentation. It’s an Intel 7265. So, I got that set up now and assigned iwm0 to wlan0 via /etc/rc.conf and enabled DHCP… BUT nothing. The device activates and it seems to look for the connection… The problem is it thinks the network is down even though I configured wpa supplicant correctly and checked multiple times. I’m going to read up on it more.

Man, you don’t know how annoying it is to run ifconfig wlan0 scan, see your connection, and then not be able to connect to it because somewhere there’s something you’re not getting hahaha. I’ll find it. I just think it’s funny

Have you asked an OpenBSD community for help?

Or do you wanna do this on your own?

I’m going to figure it out myself. If I’m absolutely stumped then I’ll ask

Figured WiFi out. I have a really long psk… I used a 3 where a 1 should have been… But it works now!

Congrats! You go zippy!

Alright, so NTP looks like it’s going to take a bit more work than I initially thought so for now I’ve just manually overrode the date and everything. Downloading everything needed for KDE right now

Yeah, pf originated on OpenBSD IIRC.

However, for desktop stuff, FreeBSD has a lot better support. SMP is also faster on FreeBSD (which in the era of 8-32 core desktop CPUs is more important than ever now).

I’ve been a BSD guy for some time…but even FreeBSD i gave up for the desktop in particular because of lack of video driver (and other hardware) support, the desktop environments being built on systemd now, etc.

For the ultimate noob-friendly variant of FreeBSD, check out PC-BSD.

(edit: PCBSD -> now called TrueOS).

Yeah. I noticed that OpenBSD also lacks support for Nvidia drivers completely. So I’ll probably have to disable my 960m… I guess FreeBSD has binary drivers for Nvidia which would definitely be nice for the future.

Another interesting thing… I heard AMD drivers are absolutely crap on BSD. This is really interesting because on Linux it tends to be vice versa. I wasn’t expecting that. I’d imagine graphic related things are lacking period but it was still different to see that.

Yeah, there’s a reason for that…

There’s a huge amount of kernel work that AMD contributed to Linux to make their drivers work.

The market for AMD FreeBSD drivers is minuscule, and the open source code is GPLed because it’s in Linux.

Don’t hold your breath.

Basically one of the reasons I gave up BSD on the desktop. Other than my Macbook, which is largely FreeBSD userspace command line tools on a Mach kernel with a decent UI.

Something I overlooked was hybrid graphics… I’ve been trying to get Xorg working ever since I got wireless up and going and it’s a slow process.

I’ve been reading through everything and I don’t know if it’s even possible at this point because my laptop has hybrid graphics. It also doesn’t have a switch to disable the Nvidia card. I didn’t think this would be that big of a deal, but apparently framebuffers won’t work because the cards will conflict with one another as they both will rely on the generic vgapci interface. That’s a huge problem. I think I might have hit a road block. I’m not sure yet but that’s how things are beginning to shape up.

You may be able to disable via UEFI.

You can disable the hybrid graphics on the Macbook Pros for example via UEFI hack.

I’d look up that route.

Can openBSD or freeBSD be installed plug and play like for example Ubuntu, or is it more like gentoo?

TrueOS, Dragonfly BSD and GhostBSD, which are all based on FreeBSD, are all desktop oriented BSD options that provide a relatively friendly install procedure.

Neither FreeBSD, nor OpenBSD will install a GUI by default, but installing KDE, for example, from the reopo is relatively painless if you have a guide/tutorial, some modest determination and some keyboard dexterity.

EDIT:
I don’t yet have my Gentoo merit badge, but I’d say that adding a GUI to FreeBSD, or OpenBSD is less involved than the hoops that you have to jump through with Arch. Fortunately, the BSD documentation is easily the equal of the Archwiki.

Yeah. That’s what I meant by saying a switch. I can’t configure graphics params via the UEFI at all. That said, I’ll try a few more things.

Its been a while since i installed a GUI in freebsd, but IIRC there are packages for it and the installer maybe even asks now.

That said, if you want FreeBSD with a GUI, just use TrueOS, it’s pre-canned for that.

Erm, not any more, TrueOS is now focused on core OS functionality downstream of FreeBSD and you’ll need to install a GUI etc, just like FreeBSD.

They announced Project Trident back in June, but I have not seen much since then. That means GhostBSD is probably the only out-of-the-box FreeBSD derived OS available at the moment.

We know that some of you will still be looking for an out-of-the-box solution similar to legacy PC-BSD and TrueOS. We’re happy to announce that Project Trident will take over graphical FreeBSD development going forward. Not much is going to change in that regard other than a new name! You’ll still have Lumina Desktop as a lightweight and feature-rich desktop environment and tons of utilities from the legacy TrueOS toolchain like sysadm and AppCafe. There will be migration paths available for those that would like to move to other FreeBSD-based distributions like Project Trident or GhostBSD.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT; it looks liek Project Trident does now have Beta’s for download should anyone want to check it out http://www.project-trident.org/download/

EDIT2; Project Trident has a very simple CoC. So whilst it could be impacted by whatever happens upstream in FreeBSD they are not adopting its CoC:

Project Trident expects everyone to conduct themselves professionally and respectfully. If you need assistance relating to conduct of another member of the community, please contact us at [email protected].

So, I’ve got an Alienware 17 R4 (6700HQ, 1060, 16gb of RAM… the works) coming that I got ahold of for $500. Now, the cool thing about that is I’ll be able to disable either the Nvidia or Intel GPU.

But for now I’m going to try and correct this mess on my current laptop (which is going to my mom) because personally if I fix something here I think it would help a lot of people.