Forget it. I'm switching to BSD

I would just like to point out that I completely understand why Torvalds might actually want to change himself in a way, and I can respect that, but at the same time I highly doubtful this CoC and his submission came naturally.

My problem isn’t with him. He’s human. My problem is with the environment that has been caused by the Code of Conduct and specifically by Coraline Ada who probably helped construct this monster making sure it was all inclusive rather than something that everyone can back. Personally, as someone pointed out in the change of comments, I agree most with Fedoras CoC and think it would make a far better substitute.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/index.html

But anyway, after 6 years I think it’s time I switch. I think the year of the Linux desktop is quickly approaching and as that happens at a faster rate, more people are bound to switch to the project and likewise more drama is to be had.

I don’t want any of it. I don’t want to be a “White Nazi” because I believe that we can all work together without having to speak for everyone on their own terms. That’s not how healthy relationships with others work.

But back on point. Tonight I will be installing OpenBSD on my laptop. I’ll update everyone with my initial impressions then and use this thread as a blog.

12 Likes

Gonna be watching this thread, so be on your best behaviour everyone

9 Likes

Looking forward to it. Never considered openbsd it’ll be interesting to see what you think.
Are the accessibility tools you use available on that platform as well?

2 Likes

That’s the thing. I’m not sure yet lol. It’s all new to me

1 Like

Good luck on the journey, Zip!

1 Like

as a person who is interested in trying this out (eventually) I will enjoy hearing your experience, GL o7

1 Like

Things don’t move quite so quickly in BSD land, so hardware support generally takes somewhat longer to realize. Otherwise, BSD is easy to live with. The only big differences are the kernel, package management and the intense focus on security and stability. If a Linux user sat down in front of a BSD machine, but was barred from using the terminal, or installing software, he could easily think that he was using Linux. It’s only when “looking under the hood,” when the differences start to pop out at you.

3 Likes

It took three years for them to add NVME support.

2 Likes

@Zippy_Parmesian

If you have not seen it you might enjoy reading this;

1 Like

I just read it! It was a fantastic article.

1 Like

I ran PC-BSD for 6 months or so a while back. Overall the experience was positive, things were just behind when compared to most Linux distros. Keep us all posted on how it goes, I’m keen to hear more and might head back that way on one of my machines :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely. I’m really looking forward to it. Never ventured beyond Linux before so it’ll be a completely new turn to explore.

3 Likes

@Zippy_Parmesian
This sounds awesome! I was just trying to install OpenBSD myself at the beginning of this week, but unfortunately ran into some issues with it. If you get it up and running I will for sure be right behind in getting it installed on my laptop too. Looking forward to this Zip!

2 Likes

Ralink drivers for wireless are actually sort of a hit or miss and it looks like they aren’t compiled in the generic kernel… So I might have to compile the kernel myself with the drivers enabled.

I had tried adding “if_ral_load=“YES”” to /boot/load.conf but it appears that the drivers aren’t shipped in the generic kernel.

I think I’ll have to fork the kernel and work on it some.

Edit: Could just alternatively compile the module itself

2 Likes

Is it tonight yet?

2 Likes

Yup lol

2 Likes

This is interesting. The module is there, but the entry I just added prevents it from loading… And yet it doesn’t load without it either… More logs it is lol. This is going to be a fun night… At least it isn’t Broadcomm I have to deal with hahaha

3 Likes

Just an update. Still reading up on everything to try and address this but one thing I do think that BSD does do better in this regard (with the exception of Arch and SuSE) is documentation.

My experience with the installer was actually pretty great. It’s all done via the terminal but it’s more straightforward than installing Arch.

It’s really configurable too on that sense as it allows you to select categories of utilities that you may or may not need and goes as far as asking you if you’re going to need X after boot.

That said, my biggest caveat so far is probably the issue I’ve been working on fixing lol. Linux has more mature driver support but that said I don’t want to draw any conclusions until I get a graphical environment set up.

I also had time to read through the BSD license and all of that. It’s more permissive than GPL and that’s really great. It encourages a more open nature I feel.

Now, one thing I really love is the lack of GNU utilities. BSD has substitutes for nearly everything… That said GNU is not completely nonexistent. It’s just cool to see something that focusses more on delivering a kernel with a userland representative of a typical operating system.

The community also appears to be rather large and active as well as extremely helpful. They seem more focused on learning more so than Linux communities and that’s definitely a great thing. It almost reminds me of the complexity of some of the stuff you’d see on Stack Overflow.

But overall, I’m really happy to be working on something like this. This weekend is my homecoming, but I didn’t have a date so I figured I’d work on this to take my mind off things. It’s been a great distraction.

I will continue working on this tonight and update you guys on anything else I might find. Maybe a few pictures. If not (it’s getting somewhat late), then I wish everyone a great night. Like I said, I’ll be working on this until I get it right lol. I won’t accept failure haha.

5 Likes

I’d recommend you still go. At least for the free punch and snacks. Say you went, then leave.

3 Likes

@Zippy_Parmesian

As soon as you get a DE we’ll be right on the same page, (though I’m stuck because I’m wanting BSPWM and can’t find a solid how-to anywhere). Looking forward to your progress!

1 Like