Fookin Dust

Okay.

My house specially my computer room gets dusty so quickly! I dust and hoover every week, and it just builds up so quickly. I can literally hoover the dust filters on my intake every week, and if I was to leave it a month it would be pretty well covered, this would be fine but it still gets in the case too! (evolv atx) I dont have space for an air purifier and I have blind on the window perminatly fully closed to prevent dust getting in but its getting really annoying seeing my expensive computer components getting so dusty so quick my 1080ti could probs do with a good clean!!!

Its got to the point where I am wondering if a DIY pc even makes sense! Woud a corsair One be easier to handle???

I was thinking of getting the new Evolv X which has tighter fitting doors etc… (to help with airflow, but may also help with dust?)

Any thoughts???

1 Like

Clean your house properly, wash all clothes and drapes and tumbledry them afterwards.

Replace your carpets.

1 Like

Where is your computer located in the room? The closer to the floor it gets the more likely it is to accumulate dust. Plush carpets can also be pretty bad for dust. No matter where the computer is.

its on a desk so about 4ft off the ground, but near a window which 60ft away ois a main road so not sure if that is making things worse

Do you have a pet?
(assuming house) Have you changed your air filter in the furnace?
Check out your vents?

Either you’re making a much bigger deal than this actually is (please post pics to remove doubt) or you have something wrong with the building because you as a human are basically the only creator of dust in the room until we get more details

1 Like

Do what my dad did when he noticed dust getting particulary bad in his house. Replace all the bottom seals on your doors and windows. He did this and the dust was cut down by 3/4 of what it was and became manageable.

Also, to manage dust better in your pc, do what I did when I lived with him: electrical tape around every place that a panel came off the case. It will help seal your case, and the air will only travel through your vents where it’s supposed to. That cut down on alot of the dust when it really got bad with my case.

2 Likes

If you need that, you have negative pressure inside your case. Aim for positive pressure, as it will make air escape through those nooks and crannies instead of drawing it in through them. More intake fans, less exhaust ones.

Or larger intake fans than exhaust or slow the exhaust fans down via software/bios.

1 Like

If you felt like experimenting, you could build one of these:

1 Like

It’s dust… There is no escape. One way or another it’s getting in your PC…
In the very best ever case scenario you can get 2 months total without noticing any dust build up… And you have Evolve ATX… It’s not the best case scenario by far…

The front intake filter on that is atrocious. Unfortunately that’s the industry standard.

Well, that question by itself means nothing… Most corsair cases have the same awful intake filter, so it will be no improvement what so ever. I can even say the Evolve have quite nice features, so it will be downgrade…
You may want to check out one of those:

Just make sure it’s a fine mesh. Most of them aren’t…
Yes, it’s double filtration, yes, it will lower the airflow, so you may want to speed up your case fans a bit, but yes, it will keep your case cleaner.
I love, I absolutely love the sponge filters…

Many people don’t like them, and I don’t blame them. It blocks crazy amount of air. Just removing my front sponge filters drop all my system thermals with 4-5C, but I’ll be damn, I have to clean this bitch once a month or so and world knows I am not the cleanest person.

So here are your options in a TL;DR format:
If you want clean system - use sponge filters, but that will block your airflow a bit and may casue a couple degrees warmer thermals.
If you really don’t want warmer components, just add a second mesh filter. It will still block some of the dust and will keep your system cleaner for longer.

3 Likes

Silverstone has a case that is meant for very dusty environments. Can´t remember the name, but they make something for that.

I would recommend against just blindly throwing money at the problem.

1 Like

I suggest tackling the problem at its source. Work out why your current cleaning methods aren’t keeping your house clean, and solve those. Do that and your computer dust problem will disappear along the way with no extra effort.

One thing to consider: If your vacuum cleaner is a “regular” one, then it might not have a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter. If that’s the case, then every time you vacuum you just throw all of the really fine dust back into the air and it settles down again over the next few hours.

Shut up and take my money !!!

This reminds me of what the GOV does in general as they dont give a fuck

Well the envoirement of where you live is also an important factor.
Maybe you live in an area where dust is a problem.

I once took filters like that and a frame with them on 5 panels with an extra case fan , a 12 volt wall wart and switch and ducted it into the case (positive pressure)
larger filter surface means less air restriction filters were rinsed out once a month and 0 dust inside case
also a side benefit of the filters is keeping critters out (one reason pc’s coming into the shop are quarantined until they can be purged with co2)
(bag them and give a couple short blasts from a co2 extinguisher! many times faster than raid bug sprays)!

Where is the dust coming from? Through the window? Do you have like a central aircon or vents bringing it in other ways? Is it your place?
You are breathing that crap in also, so probably not good.

If you want to get real ghetto, you could make an airbox out of cardboard and put like a corrugated air filter or something similar in it, and then just wash that out every so often. Have this be the single entry point for air into your computer. Shouldn’t lose too much flow when it clogs.