How best to serve and eat Food Discussion Area

I love mushrooms… I love olives as well. Both of them are kinda expensive, especially the olives.

The dirt is jsut mashed black olives. You can make green olive tapenade.

It’s also really good, unless you hate olives…

I also boil blueberries and make a discount jam (runny) to top my banana pancakes as I cant have wheat, dont know if you eat eggs or not but I blend that and the bananas with a small pinch of salt and fry it in a pan.

1 Like

This is what i’m making tomorrow morning. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back when I am on campus at my university they would do french toast in the morning. I would love throwing a bunch of whip cream on a few slices.

I would do the same with pancakes.

@anon46267848 I have a list for you however first I have a few words for @psycho_666 - WTF MAN we have traditional Liutenitsa and you are proposing some olives ?

So the list is -
Liutenitsa ( combines well with cheese )
Rodopska zakuska ( I guess milk and eggs are allowed ? )
Kiopoolu ( also good with cheese )
Apetitka ( type of Liutenitsa but with chili peppers )
guacamole

1 Like

Oh come on, explain to them how to make traditional liutenitsa… I dare you… I double dare you… With everything…
Mashed olives is simple… Making liutenitsa is not…

Well if you are cooking everything from raw state it takes time and hard work however as always in the city you can cheat from the store.

So you need -
1 jar of tomato paste ( take a smaller one if you are cooking for 2-4 people 200-300 g will be more than enough )
1 jar of skinned grilled/roasted red peppers - the ratio pepper to tomato paste should be 2:1 ( on 300g tomatoes about 600g red peppers )
1-2 pieces of garlic ( optional )
salt less than a teaspoon but mainly on taste
sugar - twice the amount of salt
black pepper just a pinch
about 50-100 ml sunflower/olive oil ( more like 50 but it really depends if the red pepper come in oil as they usually do use oil from them )
few leafs of Parsley ( optional but it adds to the presentation )

How to -

Put the red peppers in the blender and make paste but with some grain ( with some chunks ) so don’t overblender it :smiley:.

Chop the garlic and parsley to small pieces.

Put a pan on the stove ( should be big enough so it can take both the tomatoes and peppers at the same time and you to be able to stir them ).

Put the oil first, then the peppers and tomatoes next. While it is getting to a temperature put the salt, black pepper and sugar in. ( all the ingredients are cooked before that so don’t be afraid to taste it ).
Put the garlic and begin with the stirring.

Should stir slow at first while it is still heating and gradually increase the intensity of stirring, ones bubbles start coming out you should put it out of heat and continue stirring until it settles down
DO NOT STOP STIRRING UNTIL 2 MINUTES AFTER YOU GET IT OUT OF THE HEAT! ( well maybe not 2 minutes but yeah stir until it settles :smiley: )

While it is cooling down put the parsley and stir it so it gets everywhere.

Serve with white cheese ( preferably more salty one ).

notes - the heating should continue until it is somewhat thick paste, main indicator is lack of liquid however if you overdo it, it will become too thick and it may burn so once you feel it is getting hard to stir or it is thick enough get it out of the stove.

garlic and parsley are optional, depending on the region there are recipes with eggplant, carrot and onions however to keep it easy to do and finding ingredients this is probably the most simple recipe.

EDIT : Missed to say it is usually eaten when its cooled down but it can also be eaten while mildly hot ( don’t burn yourself ). So you can make it today and eat it the next morning. You can also make bigger batches and store them in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for a lot of time just remember to take it out a day before serving so it can warm up.

4 Likes

I never thought that one day I will see an explanation on how to make homemade liutenitsa on a tech forum and here I am…

3 Likes

OK, I know I said I will make pancakes for brakefast, but I was too lazy, so I made French toast…

It’s not just eggy bread, cause there’s milk and stuff in the eggs…

3 Likes

Liutenitsa is so good that everyone should know about it :smiley:

2 Likes

nooooooooo

Olives are nothing compared to the 'chovie.

1 Like

Or you may just use the basic stuff - olives and spices…

but without the anchovies, it’s not as hipster…

put some fuckin BLACK ONION RELISH in that bitch as a substitute. Thanks @psycho_666 for you inspiration

1 Like

In my quest to go meatless I tried a homemade vegetarian lasagna and it was surprisingly good.
However when your favourite meal is a medium-rare sirloin and pork spare ribs is a bit difficult to become a full time ruminant.

Watching the Matrix and seeing the goop they ate reminded me of something I’ve always been interested in; having a mixture of the stuff you need and mainly eating that.

I know a lot of people is opposed to that idea, but for me, even though I enjoy eating, I’ve always found preparing food tedious and having to eat a chore.
I’m intrigued by the idea of synthetic food and I’ve been reading about products like soylent. The idea of being able to shot a shake and be done with it speaks to me.

Has anyone here ever tried such a product?

YOU HERETIC…

1 Like

I knew you were gonna see this and light the torch :heart:

1 Like

I found it very relaxing actually. Yeah, it takes time and effort, but damn, it’s for me. I rather have something tasty and good than something just to fill my belly. And if I have made it it’s doubly good, cause I made it. So I congratulate myself for well cooked meal with a well cooked meal. Unless it’s badly cooked, and then I cook it again the next day ti make it better.
IDK… I really have a passion for food and I don’t mean the fruit…

2 Likes

This is a very nice ideology, if you can call it that. I wish I had the knack for it like you do. Your meals look delicious.

Also grocery shopping just rubs me the wrong way, I really despise it.

1 Like

In my opinion you have to make it a habit, currently I don’t find a lot of time to cook that’s why I made the habit on Wednesday and Saturday I have special hours for cooking.

1 Like