Folky folk metal

So there is a spectrum of folk metal, and I’m looking for tracks that are more “traditional folk songs with metal elements” end of the spectrum, rather than folk-inspired metal. I made a mini playlist as an example:

Otyg (Scandinavian folk)

Dalriada (Hungarian Folk)

Grai (Pagan/Russian folk)

Metsatöll (Estonian Folk)

Eluveitie (Celtic Folk - specifically from their folk albums)

Do you guys know of other folk music that is traditional folk than metal?

2 Likes

Hey, you can check this thread

and may find something that suits your needs.

1 Like

I’m looking for specific/niche recommendations.

I did check out that thread before I posted, but just looking at the OP in that thread, none of those songs were what I was looking for. I’m sure Korpiklaani has a few albums with material I’m looking for, but most of that thread isn’t applicable. I mean there was King of Asgard in there, and that’s the antitheses of what I’m looking for, as they are a straight melodic death metal band with the only “folk” element is their lyricism in Norse mythology. After getting a third through, I only found Heidevolk (which I was already aware of), and the next closest thing Warduna which is a straight traditional folk band, and while that is closer to what I’m looking, it still misses the mark being devoid of any metal influence.

I figured there is enough stuff to sift through (i.e. not relevant) to warrant a new thread.

Its hard to think of anything that fits the bill because I dont know where you really draw the line but maybe something here will strike your fancy.

1 Like

Basically, I’m thinking of folk-metal as a subgenre of folk opposed to metal. As long as it’s a traditional folk song first, it will fit what I’m looking for. Everything you posted really fit. I was hesitant about listing Arkona just because they tend go comfortably on metal, but these are folk songs with traditional instruments, so they fit. I think the Japanese one is kinda questionable - it feels more like a modern song with traditional influences, but the folk instrumentation are focal point, and the intro was really what I was looking for, but kinda fell off when distorted guitars drowned out. Since it was actually new for me, I’ll give it a pass; now if I only figure out which characters are the band name…

thanks so much @Jerm1027 @dobzz @Adubs for the music recommendations, I love folk metal! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Depending on album and song, Lumsk fits the bill fairly well:

Some Haggard songs, such as their version of Herr Mannelig:

1 Like

Maybe something like these?

I strongly suggest starting this at Dust and Crooked Thoughts, not what Bandcamp wants to play first ↓

Chinese folk metal ↓ Their Xiao Shao album is an acoustic version.

This is pretty much straight up neofolk ↓

2 Likes

surprised nobody has recommended Ale Storm here:

Holding my tongue…

Lumsk does fit the bill fairly well.

I totally mixed up Haggard with Blaggards. :laughing:

It doesn’t fit the bill. Alestorm is a metal band that has a pirate influence, even calling their flavor of “pirate metal” folk is a bit of a stretch, plus their music is more comedic in nature - they’re more of a parody band than they are folk metal. I don’t mean to rag on them - they’re a great band, just not for this niche I’m looking for.

I’m looking for folk metal in which traditional folk music is the root, and not just a mere influence. So, Korpiklaani is a better fit, and keeping with the spirit of drinking, with their song " let’s drink" fits

But a better Korpiklaani song for this thread would be:

1 Like

I’m surprised no one recommended Falkenbach.

Much more metal in this one - still awesome:

1 Like

There are so many that start moving further and further into metal territory vs folk territory (Folkearth is another one) that drawing a line becomes pretty difficult. Every time I think of a band I go listen to some songs and always wind up thinking that I misremembered the amount of folk vs metal that I don’t recommend them here anyway. :man_shrugging: