Folding@Home as space heater DIY space heater?

Who does this? I did this last year. It worked well as a supplemental heating system to my wood burner.

@GigaBusterEXE

3 Likes

Just get a 11900k and a 3080ti. That’s probably 500w for ya!

I have a 5950x, and 6900xt, and 3950x and 2080ti and 3900x and 5700xt + 1070 running. I wonder what my power bill is going to be.

2 Likes

lol more like 700w

2 Likes

I have a 2080 running in my apartment now. Not even staying there this winter so I hope it just keeps on chugging.

2 Likes

will you be using your 6900xt for folding this winter?

probably not.

I do exactly this. I have a Dell R5500 with two zotac p106 GPUs. I cut holes in the top so the GPUs get plenty of fresh air. It only folds with GPU and has an L5620 to handle the OS functions. Keep it going 24/7 in winter time.

2 Likes

I might be able to dig up my SLI GTX 480’s. That might me hotter than fire

1 Like

get one of my flex seal passive coolers its basical a aluminum space heater

1 Like

I did that on a Pentium G4560 + GT 1030 and an Athlon x2 4450e (unlocked Sempron 145 and OC’ed to 3.2GHz) + Radeon 6670. Wasn’t exactly a space heater, because I probably had less than 500W output in total, but it was noticeable, compared to my communist-era heating system. PCs were running 24/7, but f@h only when I slept or wasn’t using them (I played online on both at once). When I added a Xeon x3450 (Lynnfield) quad core + HT and 11 HDDs, the room started getting pretty toasty. And again, I noticed a difference / drop in temperature when I stopped f@h altogether on my Pentium (but it was still running 24/7) and I shut down my Athlon. I didn’t run anything intensive on the Xeon and stopped f@h altogether (I had too high electricity bills).

Electricity might be more expensive than combustibles, but if you want to donate to a good cause, that’s for you to decide. With a beefy PC or server, you can notice a difference in temperature in a room, but if you keep your doors open, probably not unless you output more than 1500W.

This thing certainly raises the house temp when I let it fold.

4 Likes

You just wanted to flex, didn’t you?
:troll:

2 Likes

:pinching_hand:

6 Likes

It’s funny that this emoji can be used to mean “just a little” or “hey, you got a weakass PC” (not to mention ehmm… you know what I mean).

Or you can be greedy and mine crypto or something…

3 Likes

I wish i had a time machine. I would go back to invest in amd stock when it was 1.50 per share and take my rigs back to 2011. Mine the shit out of crypto. 6900xt + 2080ti mining would be epic back then.

I mean if we’re doing time machines… I’d just buy a shit ton of bitcoin when it was dirt cheap. No need to mine and my gpu’s could happily fold :sunglasses:

Got rainy today here in germany. Fire up the heater? nope…let’s run backups! Xeons+Gzip9 compression made my living room feel cozy again.

5 Likes

If we’re doing time machines, I wouldn’t bother with crypto, I’d just buy the winning lottery ticket, get 25% of it (because gubburmont takes 75%), invest in some companies and houses and live on passive income in a small house.

1 Like