Floatplane Media?

I think technically everyone who watched a few of the "behind the scenes" type of videos knows that, but c'mon now, it's more fun this way :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would not be interested in making another content overlord.

I found the LBRY platform interesting. I saw it on Lunduke last week. It is more inline with how I see the internet being.

2 Likes

That actually seems really interesting, deffs following it to see where it goes in the future.

Did anyone else notice 'Linus' posted here? But his account is only as old as that one post(5 hours)? Is that spam, or is that a legit account?

Regardless if that's the case, I still read it in his voice.

1 Like

I dont find it surprising. Linus is free to talk about his endeavors. This is a very open forum.

1 Like

Diversity while keeping costs down. Youtube is going to crash and kick off the small people. The more options the better. There are a few new sites for such a thing,

1 Like

Hello and welcome :slight_smile:

Like I say I think the platform will be a huge win for LMG based on Luke's vid not just on the fan support side but also the pr angle. Linus Media would be in a position to do some of the things currently being done (poorly imho) by ad agencies.

At that scale with properly brokered ads(if you do that), even these amazon costs aren't that significant. In terms of per viewer cost it's on the order of what about 5 cents for a longish video? And that's the benefit. As long as some type of monetization is built in and the viewers are all paying at least that, it can't not be profitable. The platform is cool, but coaching other channels on the business side, if they ask, and having the clout of everything for monetization.. well.. that's the biggest long term benefits I see imho.

If we can help lets us know :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Not sure I agree with you here but for the greater good I do agree. Content makers are becoming more and more what I watch as a consumer compared to TV which I no longer use as a TV. I game on it.

Well, where ad agencies are involved there are bathtubs of cash that are being soaked up with relatively little ROI, typically, in that space. For selling ads, it's usually a cost plus situation so you can't not make money as a broker. At least inside a traditional agency. Few have made the transition to digital however so there is a solid business opportunity there for someone who figures out how to use the internet to have a marketing conversation with the most anti ad generations ever. Bathtubs of cash. Seriously. Lol

3 Likes

anti-ad generations ever :slight_smile: Thank Google and google like ad delivery.

1 Like

On the other side of the coin and where you make all the money to make babies and school them. I see the need to have a big server farm streaming video content.

Not that Wendell is stilly enough to make children who need you but linus is breeding well. Baby linus's will need cash.

There is a real quality difference from YouTube as a hobby to as a professional.
If there is no money in it eventually that content you like will go away.

1 Like

True enough but the Happy medium got run over years ago.

To paraphrase an old adage:
"The only way to guaranty that you will make a small fortune on YouTube, is to start with a large fortune."

I admire that Linus took a big risk to build his dream studio. I'm pretty sure that the ad-pocalypse was not part of the business plan. I wish LMG all the luck with Floatplane. The internet needs alternatives and innovators.

5 Likes

As patreon displays . People will pay creators. Its the middle man that is fuzzy. I want to pay person x and y not server z

To that end I would be a node in a distributed content platform. Im sure my ISP would change me from Unlimited if I did however. Slow as my AU internet is.

3 Likes

I think the internet especially YouTubers are still trying to find that happy medium.
First they sought safety in AdSense and network partners but these are failing and more are striking it out on their own.

For us it's less about taking on the role of the agency. We want the creator to take control of how they want to monetize their content on the platform.

An ad-supported tier would require a kind of volume that would be very difficult to achieve off-YouTube by anyone but very large creators, so we're obviously considering it, but it's a much lower priority than a community supported model.

We've got our "per view" costs much lower than AWS already and still working on tuning our CDN.

But you hit the nail on the head - the platform can't not be profitable as long as the viewers are more than covering the cost of the bandwidth we serve them, and that's where Vessel was so important to us as a proof of concept. For no cost (in fact we made money) we got to see that with the proper promotion, a viewer supported model could succeed.

After they folded, we started out really really slow - the first iteration of FPC was just a download button for an .mp4 - and as we've gained momentum we've ramped up our investment.

And of course without the right people this kind of strategy would mean nothing, but Luke and his team have been doing an amazing job. A lot of people make assumptions that couldn't be further from correct from watching Luke's call for coders video.. We aren't expecting one person to do all that stuff and Luke isn't an "idea man". V0.6 is already working and the one (or more) person we hire would be hitting the ground running with a team that's already building incredible things.

It's going to be a hell of a year........

15 Likes

It would be better just to get bought by someone ( someone being a company ).

If you ask nicely wendell might make you another twindell for that role.

3 Likes