Flatten Out Curved Monitor?

I apologize if this sound like a stupid question (because it probably is) but I’m desperate at this point.

Is it possible to “uncurve” a 16:9 curved monitor to improve its backlight bleed? Every curved monitor has terrible backlight issues plus I don’t like curved design in general.

The monitors I’m looking to get are 27" Asus TUF series displays. They have curved VA panels and flat IPS panels. I prefer the VA panels as VA is much better than IPS when it comes to contrast ratio but the curve makes the backlight bleed worse as you can see here:

IPS version for reference: https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/monitor/asus/vg279q/vg279q-uniformity-large.jpg

I have no idea, but I’m HUGELY skeptical. This sounds like a great video to pitch to LMG though. Let them do it and then you’ll have a clue lol.

2 Likes

Now I just gotta solve the problem of contacting LTT.

3 Likes

I admire your commitment to flattening the curve at such times. :wink:

15 Likes

wheezes

https://www.linusmediagroup.com/contact-us/

It may take… Forever, but I can see him trying it, maybe with a cheaper monitor first but then again it is probably not worth the effort. Worth a shot and I would like to see the result.

Edit: if you do, explain as much as you can as to why you want this. If nithi g else you might get a suggestion of a monitor that fits the requirements rather than doing this.

3 Likes

What about not buying a curved one?

4 Likes

There are only 2 flat 27" VA monitors I’ve found. One from MSI and the other from Samsung. Samsung’s has still has bad backlight bleed (even though its flat) and MSI’s has a terrible design but I may have to just end up going with that one. LG has a 32" flat VA but that’s bit too big. Hopefully some better ones come out soon.

Are you sure those are all the required specs?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#P=6,4&F=660400000,711200000

Just did a quick search on my local store’s site. Looks like I came across these.

Acer KA270HA
Acer V276HL
ASUS VA279HAE
ASUS VA279HAL
BenQ EW277HDR

1 Like

Forget to mention 120hz minimum and preferably 1440p.

Forget to mention that it needs to be 120hz minimum and preferably 1440p. Those are all 60 - 75hz.

@LinusTech Someone has a wierd idea that will make for an interesting video.

3 Likes

implying they log in here when they don’t need server help from wendell

Kek

3 Likes

This one is 32", so it might be too big, but it is a really good price. I have this one and it works fine.

Yeah it seems like I might have to go with a 32 inch like that one. I don’t get why it’s so hard to manufacture a decent flat 27 inch VA.

Recommend looking at TFT central reviews to get a more realistic idea of panel/backlight uniformity. RTings really like to turn up the contrast and make it look worse than it is (and I don’t really rate them on any other front, either).

Samsung makes the panels for all of the displays in that class afaik.

You aren’t likely to fix the problem by straightening it out either. It’s not an issue of the curve but the quality of the materials involved. These are all cheap monitors and you’ll have to look to the higher end to get what you want.

wow thats awful
wow I strongly doubt it
wow good luck

Rtings simply uses a 2 second exposure when capturing the black uniformity of a panel so it’s easier to see. Yes it would look better in real life but it’s still pretty bad.

I’m curious though, what else don’t you like about Rtings? They seem like the most objective/in-depth reviewers out there, alongside Hardware Unboxed. I will say that there headphone reviews seem a little confusing considering that they give low scores to open-backs because they leak sound even though that’s obviously the point.