Fixing Haswell and Ivy Bridge CPU temps: IHS removal

This guy removes the top casing of the uProcessor and applies this own thermal paste onto the chip.

I'm not a hardware expert and I would like someone to tell me an opinion reguarding his temperature "fixing" method. Would anyone try this at home, or is he nuts?

Thanks!

It's risky, but the only way to overcome the shoddy design of current intel CPUs that make them run so hot, at least as far as I know.

It's called delidding; it's rather simple - I will be replacing the TIM on my 3770k with CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra in a few weeks in preparation for watercooling. Actually, I may even go heatsinkless on the CPU die, and simply use the EK mounting system to mount my waterblock directly on the die.

I didn't even know you could do that, but I'm sure the temps would be great!

Magic! Seriously thinking about delidding myself, doesn't seem to hard. Would bring down my folding temps by quite a bit. If only I had some good TIM.

10 bucks for MX4, just make sure you do a good paste job

Use DE razor blades instead of x-acto blades. They are much thinner and sharper and allow you to get between the IHS and PCB without an angle that may damage the PCB and short out your chip. Tape up the other side of the blade to not cut yourself. 

It is a valid option, but it is risky. If you mess up you lose you cpu. If you are careful you will get a large improvement in temperature.

A friend of mine is a metal machineist - We talked about making a solid copper replacement of the Intel heat spreader - but would this work better and would it be worth it?

Someone please try to delid by using some high tensil strength thread, like dental floss. I really want to see if it works like I think it should. I just don't have an Ivy Bridge or Haswell Chip, or I would do this myself to test it. It shouldn't damage anything, and you can cut a large block of clay with a piece of floss, I don't see why it should be able to cut through some adhesive. Use uncoated if you need it to saw into the adhesive.

yes it would work better, but it should still be the exact same thickness and you will need better thermal paste, such as liquid metal TIM. 

Post your results when you're done? Sounds like a cool project (hah, puns.)

Thanks for the tip, might grab me some.

I don't think it would work. Clay isn't that hard you know :p

From what I could tell about the adhesive that they use to secure the heat spreader, it isn't that hard either. It was just an idea, if it doesn't work, then nothing is lost or damaged. I mean, it is only thread. It's not like you're hacking at it with a hunk of sharpened metal.

This is interesting.... but I don't think I'll ever have the need to do this... I don't need a dektop anymore :)

It would be great if I could lower the temps on may laptop, but the poor ventilation is to blame...

hammer + vice method is the safest way to do it

won't help with haswell, the heat there comes from the integrated VRM

that's not true, i actually think logan mentioned this specifically as having nothing to do with

the temps are not even caused by shitty thermal paste, it's because they put too thick a layer of that cement stuff