[Fixed] Having problems with booting after dual booting windows and ubuntu

Situation:
I have come to a point where I have some spare time and wanted to learn linux so I decided to install it alongside windows 10 for now so I could teach myself how to use it.

After installing Ubuntu I can’t boot into Windows 10 without manually selecting the .EFI file from the HP Boot menu.

Device:
HP ProBook 6570b

BIOS/UEFI Settings:
Fast Boot=Disabled
Boot Mode=UEFI Native (Without CSM) (This setting has always been set)
Secure Boot=Disabled

Goal:
Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu from GRUB

How I got into this situation:

I had Windows 10 installed. I installed Ubuntu from a USB stick and selected the “install alongside WIndows 10” option.
After installing Ubuntu and rebooting the laptop the laptop would just boot straight into windows 10.
After searching around online I put the following command into the CMD:

“Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\debian\grubx64.efi”

After applying this command and restarting I get stuck in a boot loop. I see the HP logo and then for a split second a message saying “reset system” just before the system reboots.

I have tried creating a windows 10 installation media and then using CMD from that to try the usual bootrec tools but to no avail.

I can boot into Windows and Ubuntu if I press F9 upon system boot and then select “Boot from the EFI file” option. These are the paths I go to to boot into the operating systems using that method.

Ubuntu path: \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
Windows path: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

In the F9 boot options menu before clicking “boot from EFI file” there is also “ubuntu”(which just takes me straight into GRUB) and “OS Boot Manager” (Which takes me straight into the “reset system” boot loop).

I have also tried the following command to no avail:

“Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi”

Any help to fix this situation and be able to boot to both Windows 10 and Ubuntu from GRUB would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Does the grub menu show Windows? Or do you not get a grub menu?

I’d be inclined to run sudo update-grub from Ubuntu and watch the output to see if it finds the Windows install. If it does, running sudo grub-install in a terminal might fix things, and let you boot windows from grub. That’s what the Ubuntu installer will have done, but running in a terminal you might see what’s going wrong.

Installing efibootmgr might help diagnosing things.

Hello @jlittle
Thank you for getting back to me. I managed to fix the problem.

I installed boot-repair from this repository: ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair

Then set a customized boot option in UEFI to point to the grubx64.efi file.

Link to reddit with fix instrucions

Thank you once again for your time.

Hey there!
From within Windows, press and hold the Shift key and click the “Restart” option in the Start menu or on the sign-in screen . Your PC will restart into the boot options menu. Select the “Use a device” option on this screen and you can choose a device you want to boot from, such as a USB drive, DVD, or network bootzine.
Thanks