Fix Permissions of whole Ubuntu 18.04.1 install

Hello, so the permissions of my whole Ubuntu 18.04.1 install is messed up. This happened after I tried mounting my Linux install as read-only in paragon for windows

Can you sudo?

yes I can sudo thats how I managed to get X running again by going into text mode and ruining a chmod on my home partition but some apps are still not working. I don’t know if it would just be easier to restore from a backup as I have one but its slightly old.

1 Like

Your partition is just set to read, you will be able to set it to read and write again.

Changing read and write on a partition can be done via /etc/fstab. Can you post the output of that?

1 Like

Ok let me try that thanks

1 Like

I think everything is set to read /write. Here is the output

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/nvme0n1p5 during installation
UUID=79b62139-8fde-46d3-b012-077127d5c4d9 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/nvme0n1p3 during installation
UUID=78C2-4EA1  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
# swap was on /dev/nvme0n1p4 during installation
UUID=c4eb8ca6-81a7-408e-a342-db68c6789837 none            swap    sw              0       0
LABEL=Backup /mnt/Backup auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=GAMEZ /mnt/GAMEZ auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=DATA /mnt/DATA auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
1 Like

It says it right there in your root, errors=remount-ro. Since there are errors the root partition is being mounted with read-only.

IMO All of those extra dives should be 0 2 for their dump and pass options. Because if any of those fail, then they will case the errors to trigger and won’t allow your system to handle the failure gracefully.

For reference here is my filesystem table. Also Ubuntu 18.04:

PARTUUID=6a225a3e-d269-42e5-b85c-406c857e546d  /boot/efi  vfat  umask=0077  0  0
PARTUUID=3e584b6b-3a79-40b3-b4e8-d6dc64c5e701  /recovery  vfat  umask=0077  0  0
UUID=003f7d1b-bb99-4f4e-b63e-b7f7deba8478  /  ext4  noatime,errors=remount-ro  0  1
/dev/mapper/cryptswap  none  swap  defaults  0  0
# External game drive
UUID=bf56fcd1-2c89-4910-8c87-42e6fefa02ad       /mnt/Games      ext4    defaults        0       2

Based on your issue, it has me wondering if you share the same boot drive with a windows install because unless properly shut down the drive will be ‘dirty’ and will cause issues with the drive being mounted in linux; a potential source of the errors.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s being mounted read only as I able to create folders and files. Also yes I have Windows and Ubuntu installed on the same drive. I shut down Windows correctly what happened was that Paragon mounted my linux partition and some how changed the permissions. As I am only able to do anything with sudo

Then that means that you need to set the umask on mount. Something like 002 will ensure that the file permissions would be 775, however, if Paragon has mucked with the whole system then it is likely that you can’t reliably fix this.

1 Like

Yeah I was afraid of that I’ll try to restore from my backup thanks

1 Like

You’re welcome. I hope it works out for you :vulcan_salute:

1 Like