First Time Water-cooling Help!

So I bought a EK Extreme 240 water-cooling kit but so far monitoring it, I'm not sure if these are usual temperatures or what but I did follow all the precautions that I needed to so I'm sure if I set up my loop properly or if there are air bubbles trapped in the radiator or if I'm doing something wrong in general.

I did a leak test and bleed for about 12 hours so there was no leaks so I was good there. I tilted the case in each directions and tapped on the hoses and radiator a couple time to get rid of all the air-bubbles that I can.

My Processor is i7 5820k Over-clocked to 4.4 GHz at 1.280 V.
The current ambient temperature of my room is 20 to 21 Degrees C, at idle when I did testing during mid day and around 30 Degrees C my temperatures hovered from 30 to 32 at idle and browsing and when I was playing games it went to 48 degrees maximum but when I stopped playing games and did some browsing and what not I realized that that the temperatures were hovering around 39 to 42 degrees C instead of the 32 it was on previous, it was taking really long to cool back down.
Question : I'm not sure of that was normal or not?

Now at night when its 21 degrees C it hovers around 22 to 24 degrees C at idle and about 26 constantly when I'm browsing and on Youtube and it doesn't cross 38 while in games and doing intense tasks.
Question : Such a vast difference is normal?

I used to use a Corsair H115i 280 MM AIO before but I used to be a t 38 Degrees on idle and in high 50s and 60s doing intense things so either way this performance increase in night and day b ut I;m really confused as to why all the fluctuating temperatures with the Custom Loop.

Water-coolers in general take much longer to warm up and cool down than air-coolers because the water temperature takes longer to warm up and cool down as opposed to something like copper. Because of this, it takes longer for a loop to reach its maximum temperature, as well as to drop from its maximum back down to idle. It takes a lot of heat energy to warm water, increasing the amount of time for water to heat-up to its final running temperature. As such, it also takes a longer amount of time for the radiator to dissipate all of this stored heat energy into the air as opposed to something like copper.

There's nothing to really worry about in this setup as you describe it. Your temps are phenomenal, being 40c+ away from any danger point.

2 Likes

that's a huge relief to find out to be honest so I know I didn't mess up anyway. It was a very fun experience to water-cool. I don't think I can go back to normal air or AIOs :smile: :smiley:

1 Like

They seem pretty decent temps and not far off my i7 5820K with a 240mm rad. Once heat is in the loop you always tend to get a residual rise even though the system is idling as it's still putting energy in the water. Just browsing might be using more CPU/GPU than you think as well.

Anyway my i7 mostly sits at mid 40s under gaming load with ambient temps mid 20s. Gaming doesn't generally show above 30% load most of the time.

1 Like

Yeah its completely fine, the temps after heavy use even on air cooled will never return to the 'pre-gaming' temps for maybe an hour or more

yea I remember my AIO water kraken x60 hit 38-41c on water temps using monitoring software. custom water kits have more water so it takes longer to heat up. Those AIO once your water hits like 35c and more it's very hard to cool your system unless u have central air or AC in your room.

I'm using a 240 mm radiator at 60 mm thickness with them EK Vardar fans, I'm happy with the temps since I'm living in a tropical country its always so hot so ambient temperatures here are always 28 degrees C + nearly all day except at night and very early morning.