First Post! Haha! My Mini-ITX build log

Here's a little build log for those that like to read this stuff. I apologize for the crappy photos, as they were taken with my iPod touch. This'll be my gaming rig for the years to come, but I still might upgrade the stuff, like the GPU and CPU Cooler and maybe add an SSD.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz @ 4.2Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V w/ Noctua NF-F12
MOBO: MSI Z77IA-E53 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO550W w/ Noctua NF-F12
RAM: Kingston HyperX Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
GPU: Sapphire Dual-X HD 7950 3GB
CASE: Fractal Design Node 304 FD-CA-NODE-304-BL Black

Two big boxes came in the mail today!

Unboxed:

Unboxed Again!:

Here's the motherboard. Nice and blue. Except for that stupid usb 2 header.

Installing the i5 into the motherboard. Easy. Only slots in one way.

Fully installed CPU:

Pretty Kingston HyperX Black RAM!

Ram installed. The MSI board is weird, having only one side with a latch.

Here's how far we are now :3

Popped on the stock Intel CPU Cooler.

Time to prep up the Node 304:

Panels off:

HDD Bays out:

I almost forgot the stupid Mobo I/O Shield.

Put in the standoffs and screwed in the mobo. The I/O shield pressed really hard against the I/O on the mobo. I had to bend some of the spring things and push the mobo in. I couldnt put the mobo in without taking off the rear case fan. Super tight area.

Mounted the full size ATX psu. Easy.

Here's a crappy image. GTS 250 slotted in and mounted. HD 7950 upgrade came in the later months.

Mounted the HDD. I'm not too sure how tight to tighten these things, so I just went a little bit tighter than the "beginning of the rubber", if you know what I mean.

Connected the fans to the included fan controller.

Pretty much it. Wired it up all nice and tidy. I have an OCD for wiring lol. Took me almost 2.5 hours for wiring.

I did run into another hiccup. The poor machine wouldn't POST, and I ended up testing the ram sticks. I switched them and then the computer worked :wtf:

With that out of the way, here are the rest of the pics while I set up Win7:

A couple months later:

Liquid Cooling Upgrade! Seidon 120V.

Cooler Master Seidon 120V

Makes little ticking noises from the pump. This pump undervolts pretty well - all the way down to 5v. This makes it much quieter and doesn't seem to affect temperatures.

GPU, SSD Upgrade.

Clusterf of wiring!

Dat 7950

Still too loud - NF F12s incoming!

RIP power supply warranty.

Integrated WiFi sucks. Intel 7260 received and installed, as well as 2x 9dbi antennas.

And that's it for now!

4 Likes

Did changing the fan in your power supply really help with sound that much? I've seen it done before but I've never seen anyone put a noctua in. And why did you decide to go with a 7950? Its great card, but I would have figured a newer 280 or something would have been used in place, did you buy it used or something?

This build log is actually a little bit old.

Noctua fan in the power supply helped a little bit. Only during intense loads did the power supply fan really make a lot of noise. It turns out that my GPU fans are actually the loudest in my PC at the moment. Looking back, I probably would have left the power supply the way it was.

As for the GPU, I bought it on 11/14/2013 - a little over a year ago. I snatched it up for around $210 after a mail in rebate. This was when the R9 series just came out, and at the time most of the 7950s and R9 280s were $280. I couldn't pass up a deal like that. I also needed a new GPU since the GTS 250 was only intended to be temporary.

MAY CONTAIN AWESOME.

They weren't lying. :D

2 Likes