First NAS

@gamebase1 @TheAlmightyBaconLord @VirtualNinja For a NAS do you think an 8350 would be good? IDK if it would good for 24/7 use. I'm looking at the i3 4160 atm but I dont know if it would be powerful enough.

Depends what you want to do, if it's just a file server you can do that on a toaster. Plex needs some decent CPU power but only if you're transcoding, if you're streaming the video in its original format it doesn't need much at all.

An 8350 is probably overkill, I have a phenom II x6 in my file server running plex and a bunch of VMs with encrypted disks and even that is overkill.

Would the 8350 be okay to run 24/7, and is ECC necessary? I am going to run plex and I want to do some jails.

If you're asking if it will be stable then yeah. You don't need ecc ram but for file systems that rely on memory integrity like zfs it will prevent some potential corruption. But for home use its pretty unlikely, so if you can't budget for it then I wouldn't worry about it, otherwise it's nice to have.

what about the 6300 will that be good for a jail plex and sending files at the same time?

Yeah it'll be fine. File sharing uses next to no CPU power and plex only need CPU for transcoding, most devices will just take a direct stream.

awesome ye I might get the 6300 it seems pretty good as long as it will be stable for like 3 years +

My phenom has been going since 2010 or whenever I put it in there (had an x4 before but swapped the x6 out of another computer after an upgrade), they're basically the same thing. At the end of the day this is a home server, not enterprise. It's not subjected to the same loads as an enterprise server and the worst thing that can happen if it crashes is you have to wait a couple of minutes to resume a movie.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NRsdXH Thats what im looking at the moment. I might swap out the MOBO but what MOBO do you recommend?

It's been a long time since I've look at am3 boards, I don't really have a recommendation. Just get something with a decent chipset and enough slots and whatever for what you want to do.

Apologies for the late replay.

For your first question of how i got them so cheap. The CPU I got from a CEX shop for $38 . The board was from the OCAU forums. Seller believed the first PCI-E slot was dead. As I didn't need a GPU that didn't matter. However when tested it was working fine.

Regarding the 8350 Not sure should be fine, maybe power consumption might be an issue. Again 2nd hand maybe an option i recently bought a GB 990FXA USD3 rev 4 for $50 to go with my 1055T.