First Intel Hybrid BIG.little CPU with Foveros is in end consumer product & is reviewed

Yeah, I’m not impressed with Intel’s FOVERO’s and Hybrid Architecture with BIG.little (1+4) setup so far. Intel’s 10nm BIG die doesn’t seem to be carrying it’s weight.

AMD’s Renoir is beating the pants off of this “LakeField” CPU

Samsung’s Galaxy Book S is only 2.1 lbs. That’s incredibly light weight, but compared to the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 and it’s 3.5 lbs, you have a laptop that will run circles around the Samsung Galaxy Book S by an ORDER of magnitude for around the same amount of money.

The crappier Acer Swift 3 was $650 and was already beating the living tar out of this “Hybrid CPU” with it’s AMD Renoir based CPU. The one in the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 is even faster

How do you justify selling such a shoddy product
1.4 lbs of weight reduction doesn’t justify the dramatic loss in performance

Please read the article for a good laugh and see how badly AMD stomps a Mud Hole in Intel.

What kind of idiot or brand loyalist must you be to buy such a bad value product.

Do you as a consumer love “Thin & Light” so much?
Do you as a consumer love “Samsung” so much?
Why on Earth would you love “Intel”?

Even the Snapdragon can occasionally beat Intel at x86, and it has to emulate it. Not impressive at all for the Intel chip.

I think this is a joke, just like the Snapdragon products that emulate x86.

1K for 8GB of RAM, UFS storage (what? Am I buying a tablet!?) and a processor that gets the job done. Doesen’t make any sense to me.

I don’t love thin and light so much that I’d buy something like that. I’m having a taste of these new 10th gen processors on my work laptop and it’s dreadfully bad.

I’ve never seen that!

because Intel:

they’ll keep pushing what they can and profit all they can

we’re pretty near the end of x86 as an everyday platform tho, in a couple years we’ll have it mostly to heavy lifting computers while most people have RISC based laptops at home… I like this kind of future

Their review seem at little confused at times misnaming the cores between,

And then,

Then back to,

Yes indeed unclear.

Further there is this paragraph on the battery,

But this this image showing very different results.

(Image credit: Tom’s Hardware)

1 Like

Unless all 5 cores are active at the same time, this is not how you do big.little… 1 core for heavy loads? What is this, Pentium 4? Besides, their Atoms suck at both power saving and performance.

These Hi/Lo configurations are going to be a pain in the arse to explain to normies.

1 Like

Not really…

You’ve got 4 garden hoses and 1 fire hose.

The fire hose is hard to manage, but really gets the job done, so if you really need it, it’s there. The garden hoses are very easy to manage, but don’t perform as well.

1 Like

And how do you explain why the AMD side gives you more Fire hoses than Intel’s mix & match strategy?

Intel is just dumb.

3 Likes

I see this more of a chip to compete with ARM, which I don’t see it faring well doing, being higher cost and probably worse efficiency.

Won’t be recommending a device with atom cores in it any time soon.

1 Like

This is a nonsense comparison. One is a gaming machine. The other is aimed at the crowd who is flying at leat once a week. Weight and space are at a premium when all you have is one carry-on bag.

Comparing it to the surface pro, XPS 13, Acer Swift or MacBook air is a more apt comparison.

Its ok for something to not be aimed at your use case.

1 Like

I can’t wait for the first ARM macbook to wipe the floor with this garbage. x86 just isn’t suited to be used in low power devices and we have seen the evidence for that over the last … forever. Netbooks, phones, tablets… they did all those with x86 and Intel has been trying everything to make it happen. AMD did the better job in terms power efficiency for mobile devices but even the latest ZEN chips are far away from what ARM is pulling off.

For the price of this thing, you could get an iPad Pro. But hey,

Positives:

Lakefield runs all x86 apps

#justbuyit

© Tom’s Hardware

so their big.little aprouch is just 4 lower clocked cores and 1 higher clocked cores

on arm doesn’t the bigger cores usually have more instruction sets or higher IPC along with higher freq

it only supports SSE4.2 and AES on all the cores

AVX would be useful for video and Excell, I would be interested to know which would use more power, AVX or software

I would have liked to see 2 big cores bare minimum

since all the cores are the same with the exception of Freq are they even binning which core is the “favorite” core similar to Ryzen chips

It is underwhelming. Surfave Pro, Ipad Pro, or higher end chromebooks are a better value propositions than this.

No, the small cores are atom while the big one is a sunny cove one.

okay that’s better
also W U T

Isn’t the memory onboard with the CPU and non upgradeable. So might just be a super feast connection due to the whereabouts of it.

Yup yup

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.