First Gigabyte mainboard - Liking it

This is my first personal build using a Gigabyte board. I am an admitted Asus fanboy but for x570 I’ve ventured out a bit and picked up a Master and put it on the bench paired with a 3800x (while waiting for a 3900x to put on my C7H :slight_smile:

I must admit so far I think things are going well. Any issues that exist happen to be pretty common across all the top board vendors. So probably in reality more related to AGESA issues than a particular vendor or specific model of board. My Asus and ASrock X470 boards are having same types of issues with 3000 series compatible bios as I’ve seen here and forums for boards. We are all waiting for a new AGESA…

OK back to my first Gigabyte build. I am pleased so far all things considered with being an early adopter. I just fired this thing up about 36 hours a go so really fresh into it but I am looking forward to getting in there and giving it a decent run through. I attached a thumb of my initial baseline CB run - not too bad for out of the box w/no OC XFR or PBO
I have a couple different kits of ram coming and also a gen 4 NVMe and I am excited to see what pans out.

Bench setup:
Master x570 F5g, 3800x, 32gb (2x16)@3600 cl18.
WD black NVMe gen3 x4 boot/OS
280mm clc
Radeon 5700XT
850w psu

6 Likes

Thats pretty cool, and i will follow this with much interest.
Because Gigabyte this time around as a very competitive X570 motherboard lineup.
And i’m actually also interested in giving them a try again.

I did not had the best experience and luck with Gigabyte / Abit back in the days.
But now they seem to have improved allot on their uefi’s.

z87
z170
H170
X399
All Gigabyte and I’ve never had an issue with their hardware. I know their perceived quality has gone up and down over the years, but I have been good/lucky.
Their software on the other hand…

OK have had some more time to tinker around and my original thoughts still stand.
I’ve added a gen4 NVMe - so now experience the best I can get with PCIe 4.0 since both the boot/OS drive and GPU are gen4 devices. — Caveat I do experience issues getting a post intermittently. I’ll boot to a black screen and will have to reset via button or crtl-alt-del or even have to power cycle the board to get a display. When this happens I get 02 on the digital readout and the VGA LED is lit solid. Seems this is not specific to this board. Workaround is that forcing board to PCIe gen3 in bios resolves issue. The bummer is that is also gimps the ssd back to gen3 speeds as well. Im sure this is AGESA or potentially the GPU. Time will tell and no, I have not swapped in a different GPU but, I think it is mute point because I’ve seen posts of folks having issues with some Samsung gen3 nvmes and they also need to force bios to gen3 from gen4 to get them to detect. So again I think its with the AGESA and PCIe device auto detection with gen 4.

On to other things - I have clocked a ram kit to 3800 cl16 with tightened sub-timings using the dram calc and also set the IF to 1900 and have the nice 1:1. Super nice and stable (4hour plus run in Karhu with 7000% coverage). I have also tested with other kits and they all work very well but the 4000cl 19 bdie kit gets it done nicely (DR 2x16) Other kits I tinkered with; Corsair 3200 CL 16 DR 2x16, Gskill 3466cl16 SR 4x8, Gskill 3600cl16 SR 4x8 - They all setup nicely and no issues setting to optimum setting for MCLK FCLK to be 1:1 and XMP profiles worked for those kits (did have to set voltage manually) the 4000cl19 kit did not post with XMP nor could I get it to post at XMP settings set manually - seems anything above 3866 was no go for me the cpu and board with that kit. But like I said it’s Rocking 3800 cl16 with IF 1900 nice.

The CPU - I am not doing any changes all stock voltages multiplier and no PB, Auto OC or XFR tweaks - pure bios defaults. Under loads like CB or GeekBench, CPUz benches etc., all cores boost to 4.227 with random cores taking turns boosting higher often 2-3 cores simultaneously. I am seeing boosts recorded in HWINFO as high 4.525 and all cores have recorded boosts 4.4+

At idle voltages drop as low as 0.200 with clocks dipping into the 3.5 zone.

The CPU really hasn’t peaked much over 68c and that’s during longer/ multiple bench runs I idle @ 32-34c - and I have a crap paste job as its (don’t shoot me) is the pre-applied from the Corsair CLC… If you wanta see real-world application for your baseline ya gotta hit the lowest common denominator, Ha!

The BIOS well it’s not bad I mean it’s not as mature as my C7H and it seems sometimes redundant where settings are and there is less granular control for some functions but, It is easy nuff to work with and I think they will get better at it.

So getting back to the Board and Gigabyte. I am happy that I took Gigabyte for a run - They have been very proactive in the forums and been pumping out bios revs like crazy and actually talking and listening to the users - looking at the forums for my trusty fav Asus, I think I’d be a bit bummed if I went x570 with them same for ASrock -

So thanks to Gigabyte for allowing me the opportunity to experience Ryzen 3 and x570 and have some fun with the new platform. And you bet I am excited to see what they have lined up for Zen2 Threadripper!

RKT4_not_gimped

3 Likes

Slightly off topic here - but did you end up using the motherboard heatspreader? Or did you leave the motherboard one off and use the included M.2 heatsink that came with the card? Only reason I did not pick up an PCIE4 NVMe is I was afraid the motherboard heat spreader wouldn’t be enough…

1 Like

No, using motherboard included heatsink. I specifically got the rocket without it as There would be no way to use it in M2A_socket (closest to CPU and directly above GPU) My temps for that drive @47c with the GB heatsink.

I’m using the sabrent 1tb rocket nvme 4.0

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Did you change your cpu vcore loadline calibration? Or leave as stock since you didn’t mess with cpu setting at all?

I have the new gskill neo 3600c16-32gb (2x16) kit. At 1.4V 3800MHz, FLCK 1900MHz, 16-16-16-16-32-48-1T for now… Still not sure what to set gear down to. Might tighten up the rest of the timings if this proves stable overnight.

You’re latency number is nuts though… Aiming for 63ns now!

LLC is set to Auto.
I left Geardown enabled.

I used dram calculator to get an idea for my sub timing tweaks and followed most all of the suggestions it gave me.

Those NEOs are good looking kits. NICE!

Did you change all your voltages to match dram calculator suggestions? Based on my inputs (dual rank), it suggest pretty high voltages… Currently at 1.4V (1.35V xmp), but not sure I want to push it past 1.45V, even though I’m sure the RAM could handle it.

I’m still around 67ns :confused: wasn’t stable with memtest overnight with subtimings better than xmp (did change to 1T, though). For now I’m going to keep 3800/1900 (instead of xmp 3600/1800) or go back to xmp freqs and try to match the better timings of the more expensive 3600c14 kit.

If I keep higher freqs and xmp timings, I’ll work on pushing the voltage back down toward 1.35V.

Thinking aloud here… Thanks for the posts. I’ll keep geardown enabled for now!

To answer directly - yes I did start with suggest recommended voltage - but then after getting a feel that things were stable I’ve started working backwards on those. I am now at the (min) recommended VDDG, VDDP and Dram… still working backwards on those. I am not stable using my same settings and just dropping dram voltage alone without getting errors - (anything below 1.4 dram) Now with relaxing some of the sub-timings a bit I can. It’s now the game of finding that sweet spot.

Ram should be fine @ 1.4 -1.45v if you have decent airflow/cooling. Lower is better (volts and dimm temps) though - It’s going to be a game of what’s working best in your system and your comfort level. Find that upper limit where everything is stable and then back it down to where you are comfortable for 24/7 - and call it good.
Max it up, run some bench marks take some snaps for posterity sake and then tune it back down for daily use :slight_smile:

here’s what I was starting from.

1 Like

Those SSD speeds are nice

1 Like

Well, when I imported my thaiphoon burner read, I got diff info… So might try with more accurate data!

Yep that’s the best way to do it, I think anyway vs. just plugging the basics. I assume you talking about exporting the report from Thaiphoon and importing that into dram calc to set you profile - prior to doing he calculations.

Your assumption is correct… Changed timings and voltage values!

1 Like

@Delta9K

What do your idle, regular workload, and benching CPU temps (from ryzen master or HWINFO) look like with your 3800X? Repasting my Corsair h150i pro tonight because my idles/reg/benching temps seem high at: 39/56/80+…

Disclaimer: Not really scientific data - just noted observations at points in time.

Environmental info: Ambient temp 22-23c (Central Air set to 72F)
Note: Using a Lian Li T60 open bench.
Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro (280mm) Pump set to balanced (@2160rpm ) Fans Exteme profile, 500rpm @idle temps - 900rmp @ high load temps. Fan curve set to follow liquid temp. Liquid temp at load @ 28c ; Idle @24c

Using HWIinfo 64 latest (beta) v6.11, Build 3890:

Idle tmp: 31.5c - 36c (light load, web browsing, watching vids, using MS office, etc.)

Medium load tmp: 45c - 58c (Gaming, Geekbench, CBR15/20, AIDA64 stress wo/FP enabled 60min duration, Unigen Valley 60 min duration, Prime95 cores only 60min duration, wo/AVX etc.)

High load tmp: 56c - 76c (AIDA 64 w/FP enabled 60 min duration, Prime95 small FFTs, w/AVX 60 min duration, etc.)

I don’t see your temp range too crazy off of what I see myself and have noted from others in various forums. Re-pasting could help but then again might not. I would look back through some of the other threads here for Wendell’s suggestions on pasting and note too he and others re-pasted several times with various results but finding that three peas concentrated over the chiplets seemed best, and also rotating the AIO block position on the CPU can have an effect. Zen2 is more “spread out” under IHS vs past gens and intel - The AIO blocks in existence seemed to be better at pulling heat away from the center of IHS. Lots of threads and posts on this topic all through the inter-webs.

You might try before re-pasting just yet - If your setup is in enclosed chassis - check your airflow out perhaps add another exhaust or intake somewhere. You may just have more heat lingering inside. In my case on the open bench I don’t have that - but, I also don’t have benefit of airflow over other components like rams - unless I place some fans.

Another thought:
I should have described too that the current GPU is a reference blower 5700 XT. Not that it makes a huge difference in my situation over all but, it is exhausting away from the board and components. I will be swapping that with a GTX 1080 dual axial card (one that will be exhausting heat wash onto the board and components and more importantly, on to the chipset cooler/intake) and taking another look at over-all therms.

Case open, ambient of about 78F, and after repasting I’m still consistently about 7-8C above your top end of your ranges for each section. Sigh. I used kryonaut and squeegeed (first time trying it) and did see about a 5C underload improvement (and getting slightly higher clocks when my chip starts to throttle at 85C), but still pretty high relative to where I feel it should be at. Pump and fans set to aggressive, liquid aio temp never gets higher than 33C.

I’m not sure which way I’d rotate the Corsair block, probably 90 degrees CW or CCW.

I could try repasting with peas or a line over the chiplets… But then I remember the Gamers Nexus video where they tried tons of different paste combinations and never saw a difference. I think the biggest change might be rotating the CPU block.

Can you point to a thread that has some examples of rotations and which direction? I’ve been browsing but haven’t found much other than some of the items you referenced.

There’s a good chance I just call it a day and button the case up. Temps are still fine, idle temps are fine (sub 40C), Aida CPU only stress test is 65C… For gaming and normal everyday usage, it will be definitely be alright.

I’m thinking OC’ing my RAM to 3800c16/1900 could be contributing to the CPU thermals, but your 1900FLCK still has good temps. /Shrug

Thanks for all the info so far!

First note is your ambient is about 6-7 degrees higher - That can account for a majority of the offset.

Heres a Video @ 19:00, where Wendell talks about the coldplates etc in AIO’s perhaps not being oreintated well enough and suggesting you could try rotating one way or another.
I think in this same thread Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs where I was asking about paste application it came up too.

Here’s a Link to some discussion, and another just off a quick google - also check out overclockersnet too.

I think you have already come to a good conclusion - by not continuing overthink it and just button her up for now and run with it, keeping an eye on things an if it gets to where you feel you need to revisit it - then do it then - otherwise start enjoying that sweet new build.

Well, maybe I should have gotten the X570I instead of the X570 Steel Legend (Asrock), wich was a pretty awful experience.

Haven’t gotten a Gigabyte Board in Years, I tend to stick with MSI and be very happy with it…

Anyway, the last GBT I personally own is an old X79-UD5 - with a burned high side MOSFET…