First freenas box

Hi, I'm soon going to be replacing my i5-4460 to a i7-4790k, and I am wondering should I keep my i5 with a board like this, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G9TZHSQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_33?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ZJCQ0E02WZDU, or should I get one of old avoton boards or something similar.

I am thinking of getting 4x4tb hard drives in either raidz1/2 and this is mostly for general backup, Plex and media streaming.

Thanks for any and all help you guy's can provide

£196.47 is ~$250 US. That is quite a lot of monies to be spending on a motherboard, especially if you really just need more sata ports.

The iGPU should be fine for Plex and media streaming, so the 16-lane PCI-E slot on an ITX board could be repurposed with an expansion slot with more sata ports. There are cheaper ITX boards available that could work with that configuration.

Do you need it to be in an ITX form factor? With microATX, you would not need either an expensive board or an add-in.

Do you already have a case in mind? If you just want it to be very small, the add-in card would work and there are plenty of small micro-atx cases.

As more drives are added RaidZ2 offers more capacity, in exchange for performance, in a vdev compared to Raid 10. At very low drive counts, like 3-4, RaidZ2 offers both low performance and low capacity. If you are sure about a 4-drive configuration, I would recommend Raid 10 instead. That would offer 50% the space and excellent performance. Or if you want more space than that, take the performance hit and use RaidZ1, although that will necessarily reduce redundancy by 1 disk.

I was thinking the node 304 and that motherboard only supports 16gb of ram

I think this is what I need for the ram overhead of zfs

Yes those boards are best for little NAS boxes.

Some RAM options:

ECC ddr3 is really cheap. If you go all in 64 GB you can do caching on the RAM directly. Wendel mentioned that few times.