First build / WS

This will be my first PC build to replace my off the shelf desktop (potato) that died. I thought to post the build I was thinking about doing. However this will be my first PC build and would love to get some feedback so I’m not bottle necking anything or make things hard for myself later down the road.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/analog_fpga_robot/saved/WttZRB

Additional information that my be useless:

I’m planning on using this build a Linux workstation (Ubuntu mate) for embedded firmware development (microcontrolers, FPGAs, CPlDs, ect), light blender for short videos, kicad, and light cad stuff for 3d printing.

Also my budget max is approximately $7000 US, but this is not a strict budget and I am fine with going more if needed.

I have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor so those are not included in the build.

Thanks,
TK

1 Like

Well this looks like a ballin’ rig. No glaring problems. I’d maybe look into going with ecc ram. TR supports it, but I’m not sure on the motherboard. Might have to change that. But there are people here that have far more experience with that stuff.

If your previous PC was trash, what kind of monitor do you have? For me this would be the obvious way to massively improve the experience for rather cheap in comparison. Maybe add a second screen?

Also, for that money you could look into getting a second sad for raid 0 performance. And you have no mass storage planed. I always throw at least a 2 or 4 tb spinning disk in PC’s to have local storage. But that’s certainly preference and cam also be added when needed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! :grinning:

I was sorta on the fence with ECC ram but wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’ll look and see if the motherboard supports the ECC ram.

For mass storage I was planning on using the old HD and then upgrade when I need it. But wouldn’t be a bad idea to get one just in case.

I plea the fifth on the monitor question. JK, The desktop was one of those all in one pcs but I did use a visio 20"tv for the laptop. I was thinking on the LG 43UD79-B as a main monitor and use the PIP/PBP for my laptop and work laptop. But I’m not to sure on that yet.

That is one big-boy rig!

Just one thing:
You have a 40x40mm thermalpad there, Noctua’s TR4/SP3 coolers have 70x56mm cold plates, about 2x the size.
I could not find numbers on the actuall size of Threadripper (or Epyc). Might have to call in wendell to take some measurements.

1 Like

For a work PC I would go with a high end standard cpu cooler like a Noctua over a water cooling setup.

Saw lots of threads about water cooling problems, pumps leaks etc.
Never saw a thread called “my noctua is causing problems”

Also "stock air coolers do provide some airflow over the mb but with 3 fans your good to go, just make sure you don’t need a splitter for them.
Hope this helps…Nice Nice rig :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed. You can overclock a Threadripper on air with a TR4 cooler just fine. The Noctua with an extra $21 fan is quiet and cool. I’d skip the water.

2 Likes

Thank you @MazeFrame for bringing up the thermal pad size, I’m probably end up using thermal paste instead. Would be interesting for other people wanting to go the thermal pads. I know the Noctua coolers come with thermal paste (unless I am mistaken). I’ll mostly go for the U9 cooler because I mostly like the case and haven’t found a case I like besides the Lian Li 011 dynamic.

and Thanks to @anon85933304 and @ropestretcher for bringing up the issue about water coolers that I over looked. I have updated the list and will still look into the cooler, extra drives and ECC ram.

1 Like

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/299-carbonaut-en

Not sure on availability

Also you’ll need more fans for that case

1 Like

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kjmxFT/asrock-x399-taichi-atx-tr4-motherboard-x399-taichi

I have heard good things about this one.

1 Like

Hey @Timothy_Kilmer.

Just wondering why you went for the Lain and Li? Nothing wrong with the case, just curious.

I had a quick look on PC part picker and you can go for the larger Noctua U14S TR4-SP3 if you change the case. If you do want to go down that route, then I’d recommend the Fractal Design R6. Got one myself and love it. Its customisable, you can have a crap tone of storage or remove it for better airflow, the possibilities are almost endless.

Whatever you decide, nice rig :wink:

Thanks,
Curls

To @Mike.Curley

Yeah, I noticed that. I just like the form factor and how the case looks… There was no logic to it. I’m looking at other cases to fit a larger cooler.