First Build/Gaming PC would like some input

you allready boaght the FX8350?

would definitely be good choice Xeon E3-1231-V3 + H97 board.
Trow a highend GPU on it, and you are good to go for gaming and productivity.

If the main focus is only gaming, then a 4690K + Z97 board, and overclock the shit out of it, might be a better choice.
Especialy if you like to play allot of mmo´s.

But a Xeon E3 is definitely a great and balanced cpu for both gaming and productivity stuf.

Personaly i would go with a 4790K if i had $1500,- to spend.

Yeah scored one on Fleebay today for a price I couldn't pass up. But build is way in the early stages so "if" it's worth it I would go the intel route, but don't "have" to.......

I think an 8350 with a higher end GPU would serve me better than an X99 and lower GPU right? Especially with DirectX12 on the horizon?

Wow that gets the hamster going on the wheel.......

Maybe R9 Fury when they come down to MSRP with the 8350?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fbLJdC here is the 8350. The fury is suppose to be at a price point of 559 on newer.. so I put that 980 in as a filler for the price point just add 10bucks to the total. SO yeah you could do that with the Fury non x card and stay under 1500

going with a 4690K or 4790K for gaming would be definitely worth it.
X99 doesnt make any sense for gaming realy. unless you do allot of productivity work next to gaming. then a 5820k for example would be a nice chip.

But for mainaly gaming a 4690K or 4790K would be the best way to go.
Especialy if you play cpu demending games at 1080p or 1440p with a higherend gpu. (like mmo´s for example)
Or if you play allot gpu + cpu demending gaming scenario´s like heavy multiplayer.

But yeah if you have allready boaght the FX8350, then it doesnt make sense anymore.
Unless you can return it.

THe problem with the FX8350 is that it will bottleneck a higherend gpu in some gaming scenario´s,
especialy in cpu demending games at 1080p, or cpu + gpu demending gaming scenario, like heavy multiplayer.

Not so much a question of returning it because I won't be able to. But like I have posted before bought it cheap enough that I could easily sell it for what I have in it....... just weighing the pro's and cons.

As of right now I have the Fractal R5 en route, the WD Black 1TB HDD on hand, the crucial MX200 250GB on hand, and the FX- 8350 should be here by the end of the week.

I am not in a deperate hurry per say as I am selling gear from my previous big hobby to fund this stuff...... but I'd like to be playing as soon as reasonably possible due to being home so much more now due to health reasons.

sounds fair enough, just trow it together and look. how it performs.
If your gpu gets holden back too much, you can indeed allways sell the FX8350, and go with a 4790K for example.

I meant before putting it together lol...... if I knew going in was going to swap it would not bother getting a MOBO and such for it.....

But the idea of the 8350 and higher end GPU is appealing to me and then that buys me time to see what happens with CPU's because we already know AMD will be going to a new MOBO but not whether Skylake will run on 2011-3 or not yet? Right?

Then later on I would already have a GPU...... I could just imagine R9 Fury (2X SLI) in the future lol......

AM3+ socket on which the FX8350 runs, is allready old.
there will be no new cpu lineup comming out for the AM3+ socket anymore.
AMD will will come with a totaly new platform in 2016 or maybe 2017, called ZEN.
AMD FX is allready 4 year old tech.

Intel skylake will be released this year, on a new motherboard series, socket 1151, Z170 / H170 chipset, with DDR4 support.
BUt skylake will not realy bring anything mindblowing to the table over the current main stream Haswell line, other then DDR4 support, 4 extra pci-e 3.0 lanes, and "most likely" usb 3.1 native.
But in terms of performance it wont be anything mindblowing over current haswell chips.

Haswell - E, socket 2011-3 X99 is a diffrent platform.

Sorry for any confusion was not my intention. I was not aware if it was or wasn't known yet what socket Skylake would be on.

So that was the point of my last post, yes AM3+ is old tech, and 2011-3 "might not" be what Skylake runs on, which if that's the case, then no sense in paying for 2011-3 now at a higher cost than AM3+ just to end up changing it as well.

Basically my question was, if going into this w know either platform has to be swapped later, then why not come in with the cheaper AM#+ CPU & MOBO and spend more on the GPU and worry about CPU & MOBO later.....?

Again I was not aware Skylake would be 1151, honestly hadn't looked into it much really, so was just assuming it would be different than current 1150 & 2011-3

Yeah skylake will be a main stream platform firstly.
Socket 1151 motherboards with Z170 / H170 and Q170 chipsets.
They will be released this year, most likely.

X99 is a diffrent platform, its basicly intels enthusiast platform, current Haswell-E cpu's, on socket 2011-3 socket, will hold for a while.
Most likely we will see a cpu refresh for this platform aswell next year.

Skylake -E is a long way ahead on us.

I honestly wouldn't get a fury atm. I am a big believer in not buying the first gen electronics. There will always be bugs that need to be worked out and then Version 2 gets released. HBM version two will be coming out in 2016 possibly this time next year. This means improvements and bug fixes from the first gen.

here is a video showing some Framerates for 4970k and 8350. This will give you an idea of frame rates.
4790k is averaging 84fps
8350k is averaging 75fps

Honestly with frame rates that high you will not notice a difference. There are some games that are optimized for intel and you will see a big difference. Arma being one of those games. I doubt you seeing any big difference unless you have 2 monitors side by side. One running a 4790k and the other 8350k. the x99 5820k will have lower a lower frame rate than the 4790k. 4790k has 4 high powered cores that can ben OC'ed to the max. The 5820k has 6 cores so the clock rate has to be dropped to keep the heat low. Most games use 2 to 4 cores and don't get an advantage over that. If you plan on doing multithreaded tasks that benefit from more than 6 cores the 5820k and 8350k will shine.

Thanks for that video, coincidentally I was watching the same video earlier by the same people but using different components.

So I hear what you're saying on the video cards and it makes sense. Then let me ask you, where would you draw the line on how much you spend on your GPU with the idea of not buying first gen tech? How high up on the GTX and Radeon side of things would you go? Because at each level from the bottom up you can always say " well for a little more $$.....?"

Thanks

Personally the 390 would be the max I go on AMD's side. As for Nvidia I would go 980 but its almost 200 more than the 390. The 970 is the same price range as the 390 but the 390 beats the 970 easily. So if you want good card for less money get the 390 if you want to spend more money go for the 980 or 390x. I honestly would be happy with the 390. then next year buy another and crossfire with dx 12 and be a baller.

Basically you read my mind lol.....

I have been researching all of the cards mentioned all day especially the 390 vs 390X and I just don't see the value there for the X model for the extra performance at $100+ more.

I really appreciate all your help today as well as everyone else who has contributed.....

Now to decide on the best MOBO and GPU :)

This is where I'm currently sitting on my build with the exception of MOBO and GPU brand/model:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CMXPkL

Glad I could help you.

Your build is solid. I wouldn't change anything. From what I have read about the 390. You can OC it and it will pull similar results as the 390x. it is solid without the OC so either way it is a win/win =)

You have saved 200 bucks that you can put towards a bigger, faster, stronger, Monitor. You could buy peripherals if that you have always dreamed about also =)

Yup the Monitor and mouse/keyboard is the next step to square away lol...... it's never ending my brain is on PC overload for the last coupe f weeks. Also have to make a final decision on OS and look into Anti Virus/Anti Malware stuff

LOL about this time I go into information mode. Now until February of next year I will have an idea of what I am going to use my income taxes on, and then I am still so confused.

If you haven't messed with Linux Ubuntu is a good one to start with. I don't want to say its similar to OSx or Windows but its similar. Ubuntu has an app store to browse programs. Windows 8.1 can be found fairly cheap if you want to go windows.

There are so many monitors to chose from its crazy good luck with that. You can browse one of my build threads from beginning of this year. I have a 24in 1080p monitor from Asus it was refurbished on sale through newegg. Only spent 139.00 bucks on it. I am still happy with it.

I used Ubuntu for a few months last year at a second job I had for a bit early in the year and it was not bad like the horror stories you hear. I have been on a Macbook pro since 2009 so use to OSx.

As for windows, I have a legit copy of Wind 7 here that I once ran on my Mac for some non OSx supported stuff I needed to do, and I can just install that and update to Win 10 for free if I choose to go that route......

But I'm sure I am not the only one freaking out about whether or not MS will massacre Win 10 in the beginning like the fiasco with Win 8 lol.....