First build for a Mac refugee

I was refering to PCIe4 for faster Storage and GPU’s for upgrading the system. Not sure how quickly a 3900X would need to be replaced. So yes, socket upgradability is on par between Intel and AMD for the current cycle.

1 Like

psst, hey, kid…

wanna build a hackintosh?

Let’s not make suggestions that are counter to OPs interests.

2 Likes

I would agree.

I have had more Corsair power supplies die on me compared to any other brand over the years and I am currently 2 months into an RMA ticket with them and they still haven’t been able to send me the proper shipping label from their system. They figured it was the email address I was using so I gave them a second one and still haven’t received the label. This was after they made a big deal about not wanting to RMA it in the first place since it was purchased through NCIX and I had no copy of the invoice or receipt, finally they agreed to warranty it with just the serial number.

I have personally had great luck with Seasonic and Superflower(EVGA). I haven’t had to send back any Seasonics so far and the one EVGA supply I had to send back was painless, shipping label received the same week and have the power supply back by week two which is really good considering where I live.

1 Like

sorry sarge

it’s cause I read him saying apple is too expensive but thought he would be interested in trying

won’t happen again

He said below that he was explicitly not interested in hackintosh.

It’s all good. I just wanted to kill that discussion before we derail the thread. I’ve seen too many a thread derailed for that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wXxVcq

With your budget theres no reason to not get a 3950x or an epyc.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro myself for photo editing (nothing heavy, just C1) and I actually think it’s not that bad. May I ask what upgrades have you done to your machine and which model is it exactly?

Also, is photography what puts food on the table or is it just a hobby?

Here’s a question… given a choice of upgrading one thing from the build I listed… would you upgrade the mobo to Extreme? or CPU to 3950x? or just much faster drives?.. All 3 are about a $300 increase.

Didn’t they say that the Gen 4 would still work on AM4?

Not a chance… not for a primary system anyway. :rofl:

I’ve got the 2013 MacPro (DarthTube), so I couldn’t upgrade it… :rofl: specifically the one with D300 cards, which suck. If I had the 2011 Cheesegrater MacPro, I probably would have been updating that.

It’s a hobby that I’d like to get a bit of scratch on the table with…

Also, the actual editing isn’t bad… but it’s the large library/catalogue management that’s so painfully slow. That, plus the slowing framerates in gaming…

Thanks, I’ll look at those. I’m coming into this as a blank slate… need good info! :smiley:

1 Like

Depends on what you want. Between most of the options out there rn, the 3950X has basically taken intel and ground it into the dirt. I think thats the CPU you’d want if you’re looking at big shit like this. A 3700 will do the same job just as well fol what you are looking to do.

Between mobo’s, I just chose the one I’d get. Choose whatever one you want tbh.

And drives? I’d do the 500GB as your boot and storage and the 1TB as your work drive. Do both on m.2 over nvme and you have some good shit.

Also the only thing you’d get from a mobo upgrade is a specific feature they put on that model. If theres something in another model you’d want, get that?

1 Like

I’m not sure if a new machine is gonna be the solution for that, to be honest. Lightroom (like most adobe products) just isn’t properly optimized software. And I have read about C1 being slow before as well. A 2013 Mac Pro should be able to handle those tasks, people are running that stuff on imacs and it’s fine.

So there might be things you can do. Here are some basic things for LR specifically.

If that doesn’t help I would still try to stay on macOS for photo work just because of the color management. Windows is so awful in that regard it’s not even funny. Any imac with polaris GPU should be fine for a while when it comes to that kind of software. Look around for refurb or used systems.

For games you can then build a much cheaper rig that will do the job just as good.

Eh… If it was just for gaming, I wouldn’t spend the money. WoW runs ok on a potatoe… :sweat_smile:

I’m aware. It’s also running fine over lutris on linux. :wink:

There’s some good tips there, but I think my other challenge is storage. Since I currently only have the one internal SSD, and then external spinners that are throttled by Thunderbolt 1, I’d likely get a lot better performance just having the image catalogues on SSDs that are on a fast connection.

But there are still really good tips that that I’ll check out as well.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.