First AMD build. thoughts?

No stock cooler. Got cheap cooler master hyper t2

the mobo box says memory: 4 x dimm max. 64gb, ddr4 3200oc, 2933oc, 2666,2400,2133 mhz, non-ecc, un-buffered memory*

*hyper dimm support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual cpus

was it stupid to buy the ecc memory?

Well, if you didn't do all the other things first that I told you would improve stability, probably yes. :stuck_out_tongue: But if you are asking if the board can handle it, this is what the website says:

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz ECC and non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

well i got seasonic psu and high quality mobo.....everything will be stock speeds. got an after market cpu cooler(decent not amazing)

so the only thing that is iffy is cooling( but as long as it stays cool were ok) case hase intake and exhaust and cpu will have cooler master hyper t2 cooler and rx550 has a fan on it

1 Like

u cna blow on a ryzen cpu to cool it

One more thing to do: UPS.

The cheap ones are around 100,- bucks and can handle something like 400 to 500 watts, more than enough to deal with that system + monitor and stuff for a few minutes, even under load. So when the power goes out you can save your stuff and make a copy to take it with you and work on it on your laptop or so.

But even when power seems fine, a UPS can help levelling out spikes and make the PSU's job a lot easier. It is just simply a good idea to have one in place.

I am having difficulty installing windows 7 on the nvme. also the ports on mobo dont work in windows but work in bios. Any help would be greatly appreciated

nvme has been formatted and is seen in my computer as E drive and i formatted it to ntfs and gtp when i put a "volume" on it

If you have to use windows, use windows 10. Win 7 won't get a lot of love anymore and all the stability stuff will do jack shit if your software is not getting patched.

well im just going to install win7 for now......which for some reason i need help with. i can see the nvme and it works fine in windows but when i try to install windows it doesnt find the nvme....i cant find the driver

Why? You can download win 10 as ISO, install it and use it for a while before you have to activate it. And because it is not ancient it will solve your issues.

i have a brand new win7 professional to use for free

Yeah, guess why.

Look, you might even be able to activate Win 10 using the 7 license.

these 2 small problems are making me angry..............i dont know why i cant find the driver for this nvme and i hope the ports on mobo willl work after i install drivers from mobo dvd

need to install windows first on nvme to get ports to work....this sucks

Microsoft has officially stated that they won't support Ryzen and new Kaby Lake CPUs on Windows 7. IIRC they're even going as far as to block you from receiving all updates (including security updates!) if you use newer hardware on Windows 7. If you have to use Windows, I'd suggest Windows 10. (If you can get away with Linux though, more power to ya!)

thanks will go win10

The Windows 7 ISO (WinPEv3) does not support USB 3.0 devices which are present on most Ryzen systems. As a workaround, it is possible to use a PS/2 keyboard or mount WinPEv3 and update the chipset drives. Another, lazier alternative is to just use WinPEv5 or WinPEv10 to install Windows 7. This probably means using the DISM tool to apply the image directly and diskpart to format the disk properly. And yet another lazy solution is to use the DISM tool and diskpart to format the nvme/ssd drive while attached to another computer. As long as you remember to "dism /add-drivers /recurse" the AHCI storage drivers and copy the USB drivers after applying the image then the USB drivers can be installed after Win7 boots to get the mouse working. After that, it is pretty straitforward to install the chipset drivers provided by your mobo vendor and graphics driver.

All of the above, while possible and will work, is complicated and I won't provide support beyond outlining the process. If you want things to "just work," then use Win 8.1 or Win 10. Win 7 has that "legacy" feel to it now.

The title confuses me; "First AMD build" but you want to choose Intel?

The title is kind of "work in progress".

installed win10 fixed everything. thanks everyone for all the help and input. greatly appreciated........

any thoughts on running case fans and possibly cpu/gpu fans at 100% all the time to keep temps down. cpu cooler is coolermaster hyper t2 and gpu is radeon rx550 gigabyte with aftermarket cooler(stock 1fan). noise isnt a issue

Completely unnecessary. The mainboards come with well balanced curves these days and hardware pretty much does not die from heat anymore anyway because the chips will clock themselves down automatically.

1 Like