First AMD build. thoughts?

i mean i bought a 4770k in 9/2013 and its still fast today without OC......should i go 6-8 cores?.....i have been recommended xeon

i didnt say it wasnt real just prefer intel

Xeon for desktop makes no sense today. If you want ECC support Ryzen does that. And there really isn't another reason to go Xeon.

6 core would be my minimum, 8 cores are freakishly cheap to get now. I'm in the middle of doing a list.... soon™

2 Likes

I understand having a preference, but why would you get intel if you can get better pref for cheaper and provide more protection when core counts go up in the next 2 years? I understand you like intel but logically it doesn't make sense.

well im going to wait to see what @noenken list shows me. I dont know much about amd products.

xeon was for stability

The stability comes from ECC

oh ok thx.

Well, my early adopters Ryzen is running 3.8GHz and has on time basically 24/7 since I built it. It crashed twice in all that time and today I know it was my fault both times. So if that is stable enough, Xeons are out.

That too, and Ryzen does support ECC.

OK, this is the list of what I would build. And in fact that is in many parts what I have right next to me right now. It is a lot more expensive than your build but it is all quality components. Some things I just will not compromise on. A 25,- buck case will sound and look like a 25,- buck case. So, no. I am also a sucker for noctua and seasonic. Still, it is way more expensive.

Yes, but it has 50% more cores / threads, 100% more memory, 300% more HDD storage and a dedicated video card. And yes, that does make a huge difference, even when not playing games.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/77ZsQV

1 Like

This is an old meme. I'm typing this on an AMD Ryzen 1800X rig that I upgraded to from an Intel i7-4790K and the performance difference is huge. Not to mention support for ECC ram. I'd go for either a Ryzen or a Xeon.

1 Like

thanks for the info! considering ryzen currently or xeon

thanks for the list! i edited it some. this is what i would do if i went off your list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gzszLD

also i thought the point of ryzen was to get ecc? your build has no ecc

There is barely any unbuffered ECC memory on PCpartpicker so ... yeah. Asus lists ECC compatible for the board if you want that. I thought the point of this PC was performance.

On your list:
You will need a GPU with Ryzen. No way around that.
Hyper 212 Evo, probably fine, don't know it, that is why I always default to noctua. :wink:
I hate non modular PSUs and I would always recommend not skimping out on the thing that feeds literally everything in the system power.
1TB HDD is stupid if you can get four times the capacity for roughly twice the price. ... an accountant would agree. :wink:
If he doesn't need lots of storage scrap the HDD and double the SSD capacity.
Don't buy 4GB RAM sticks. Seriously. Windows is a hog, office isn't any better and don't even for a second think that this would ever change. Having all the stuff in RAM makes things quicker.

yes the point is performance but also stability.

ok so i just need to find ram that does ecc because the board supports it. if i do ecc will i lose performance? 8gb or 16gb?

here is ram i will get https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242165&ignorebbr=1

updated list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zkr3Gf

is 430w psu good enough?

this ryzen build is more expemsive than xeon and i7

That M.2 SSD seems completely overkill. You can probably save a considerable amount of money going down to a SATA SSD (with or without a traditional HDD for extra storage). The GTX 1050 might be overkill too. If the machine isn't going to be used for video editing or gaming, I'd probably bump that down to a GT 1030 or an Rx 550/560.

Edit: fix GPU names

thanks for the input! i was think that as well for storage

Well, that happens when your SSD gets more expensive than anything else. A 500GB Crucial SATA drive would be the reasonable choice I guess. If that isn't enough, 1TB won't be enough for long either and we end up at a 3 to 4TB drive again because price/GB sweetspot.

430W is enough, yes.

RAM looks fine, try to get the same thing in 2400 speed, Ryzen likes faster memory.

btw.. Things that really help with stability: higher quality PSU, high quality board, better cooling, UPS, running everything at stock clock speeds, ECC memory. In that order.

RX 560 is actually faster than a GTX 1050.
And the RX550 is literally half a 560 for 10,- bucks less or so....

ya i got that about the m.2 price but even with a lower priced ssd it seems it will be more than i7 and xeon......editing list now......what is ups?

Uninterruptible power supply. Basically a big ass battery.