First AMD build. thoughts?

thank you!

1 Like

PCPartPicker seems to be missing a lot of the parts I'm looking for, so I'll do it manual:

CPU
  • Xeon E3 1230 V5 or V6
  • Xeon E3 1245 V5 or V6

The 1245 has an almost negligible performance gain compared to the 1230, but it has an iGPU, which the 1230 does not.

Motherboard

Really depends on the desired form factor. If the CPA is moving it around a lot he'd probably want something smaller, but smaller comes with a price.

RAM

The C236 chipset can use DDR4 2133 ECC UDIMM modules. DDR4 with ECC is not cheap unfortunately.
Probably want 2x8 GB sticks. Like two of these:

Graphics

As mentioned above, the 1245 has iGPU, which may be all the CPA needs. If they are using multiple monitors they may need a GPU simply for having enough connectors. If he does need connectors, a Quadro P400 has a few and sips power.

Storage
  • An SSD for OS and common programs would keep it feeling snappy, maybe WIP documents as well.
  • There are a few mechanical drives out there that are designed for workstations. Namely WD Gold and Red Pro, Seagate IronWolf and Enterprise, and Hitachi Ultrastar.
  • Where data integrity is important it's always important to have multiple copies. Even a portable flash drive helps, although a NAS or the cloud or whatever would probably be better.
Case

If the computer will be at home where only the CPA will ever see it then pretty much any case will do. If clients or other people are going to see it the case will probably need a clean and simple aesthetic with as little gamer bling as possible.

Offtopic: How do you get the drop-down functionality on these forums?

You can use the code

[details=insert_title_here]

Text and Stuff

[/details]

Or use the "Hide Details" button in the options (gear) list.

thank

you! ^.^

so going with xeon is for stability/reliability purposes? any difference in performance against i7 7700k

lol nice

for what your describing as use scenario and portability needs, something like an asrock deskmini 110w, 2 ddr4 260pin sodimms (laptop ram) a 6700/7700 non k cpu, standard height ssd (thick large capacity ssd won't fit) and an nvme drive if budget allows, and your pretty much done other than possibly needing the add on for 2 additional usb2.0 (I would highly recommend) and maybe a slim external usb optical drive, throw on a decent aftermarket cooler ( anything same size or shorter than intel oe cooler with better noise/thermal performance) and you have a complete powerhouse 4c/8t for fairly cheap that is literally smaller than a 70's kids fall guy lunch box

edit, forgot to mention it runs on a laptop external brick supply and the 110w includes a wifi module, look it up on newegg and ignore the "why do I have to assemble it myself" idiot reviews

thanks ill check it out

So i need help choosing....i7 7700k or xeon? xeon build is about $100 extra. Which will perform better? is xeon more recommended because of stability/reliability? psu enough? 8gb or 16gb ram for xeon? @anon85933304 @w.meri

here are the 2 parts lists:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TcQtFd (i7)

xeon

Summary

For pure performance the i7 7700K will outperform the Xeon*, but the Xeon will minimize the possibility of instability or crashing. However, like I mentioned above, accounting does not need crazy performance. If I was building for any of my CPA friends I'd rather give them a workstation parts than gaming parts. I'd feel bad if they lost work because of something I built for them, even if the likelihood of that happening is small.

*Performance difference is probably about 15% in near-perfect situations, which Excel is not one of them.

Why not?

2 Likes

Some people just have to have the brand name clothes

3 Likes

I honestly just want to know if there is a reason or if it's a "team blue 4 life, bitches" -thing.
I don't buy nvidia because all the shit they are pulling and all the open standards they don't give a single shit about. So, maybe there is something I don't see. That is why I ask.

2 Likes

i just think intel chips preform better when ever i see a slow machine its normally amd chip. I know amd has gotten better over the years but i just stick with what i know has been good to me

thank you forgetting back to me. are the parts i choose ok for stability? is psu good enough?

Are you talking about the shit companies buy for office computers?

just what i have seen over the years. I have always had intel and never had any problems.

OK, I get that ... kind of. But if you want to build something that

then I would say a quad core Intel is exactly the wrong way to go right now.

3 Likes

So because you have never had a good experience and they were always "slow" you just say that all the benchmarks of the news stuff = not real?

1 Like