Firefox Quantum aka Current beta, is super speedy

I definitely appreciated Nightly because I like to try new browsers from time to time and it seems like I always have little issues with most, except for Chrome which I’ve been using as my main browser since it came out because it just seems to work the best.

There’s two issues I’ve always had with Firefox. One of those is the speed. I have 16GB of RAM on my laptops and 32GB on my desktop, and I’m not one to have a gazillion tabs open anyways (maybe 10 max), so I’ve never had an issue with speed in Chrome. Firefox has always been just slightly slower. There’s also an issue with YouTube where when I click to reply to a comment, it’s like the text box and cursor don’t line up properly, so I can’t type anything unless I click cancel and try again. Just slightly annoying.

Nightly fixed the speed issue. It’s very fast. BUT I do have one major gripe, and that is they stopped using the doge icon.

Screenshot at Aug 21 13-32-58

I’ve been using Firefox almost exclusively since 48 and it has gotten worlds better. I’ve went on to install it on my Pixel as the default browser. Mozilla really is doing great work with this one. Perhaps they could claw back some market share with this speedy improvement.

Firefox has been recently released as a Snap package for Linux! It seems to be just as stable as the APT version. There doesn’t seem to be an official Flatpak package yet, however.

So I found out Mozilla is planning to make Firefox even uglier than it is now. “We are not changing, we are evolving” It sounds like the design people are bored out of their fucking mind so they are making changes for the sake of changes. I weep for my favourite browser.

Mozilla’s new logo and branding for its Firefox family of products highlight that Mozilla is evolving beyond the web browser, and is looking to carve out a unique identity.

But… it was unique… it was a firefox, now its generic swirl #13. I don’t understand how that’s more unique?

Firefox is dead. Long live Generic Swirl.

4 Likes

When quantum first came out, for whatever reason it was as slow as molasses for me, so I stopped using it. But I just recently downloaded the lastest version. And bro. It’s verry fast. Like some sites were opening up as if I was running off of fiber.

2 Likes

I don’t understand it either. Somebody stop this madness already.

Ya but being progressive and embracing change is always a good thing.

I hope that’s a strong sarcasm.

It is.