Firefox is open-source and has less than 6% market share

If you have ipv6 enabled and working properly you may be surprised at how much stuff now defaults to ipv6 before falling back to ipv4 if it doesn’t work.

If you want to ensure all your traffic is tunnelled, either get a dual stack vpn tunnel or (and it hurts to say this) disable ipv6. Or at least change the registry so ipv4 is preferred and tried first.

1 Like

Yep, I figured. For now I won’t do anything, as privacy is not that big of a concern (otherwise I wouldn’t have divulged my location or for that matter, used Windows). Also, a traceroute tracert to gnu.org showed that the path taken is through the local connection and not through the VPN.

A simple route delete 0.0.0.0/0 and route delete ::0/0 once the VPN is up does the trick in a pinch.

Come on guys Mitchell Baker’s raise ain’t gonna pay itself!

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/navigate-web-faster-firefox-suggest#w_contextual-suggestions

1 Like

This is the kind of crap that makes me want to facepalm so hard that my hand goes through to the other side of my head. Thankfully, it’s opt-in (for now, until they will make it default, like they did with FF studies and telemetry). KDE did telemetry right, IMO that should be a model other FOSS projects should follow. Moz://a, y u do dis? (obviously to sell data and make some money, at this point, I’m not sure what’s worse, making Google the default search engine, because normies are going to use it anyway, or selling data to 3rd parties with potentially bad track records of keeping data from leaking).

I’m seriously considering LibreWolf at this point…

Bring on the defeat of FF for good. I hope they disappear off the face of software for this

3 Likes

Well google funds and ad resources are pretty much their main source of revenue i suppose.
Same counts for pretty much all main stream browsers.

2 Likes

I watched an opinionated research project on Firefox recently, and it’s arguement was that Firefox is no longer the most popular or most used browser because it failed to adapt to mobile browsers in the same timeframe as the other more popular browsers. While Google and Chrome were dominating the market with mobile app access and convenience, Firefox was building a roboust and secure browser without such blobware. Firefox focused on making a solid web browser for comptuers and was late to the mobile platform compared to other major companies. By the way, Firefox still offeres great privacy and security compared even though its mobile app may be lacking in some areas compared to others, it’s still the best browser to use IMO.

Was just interesting to see this guys reasoning. People seem to think because something is more “popular” or cause its “new technology” that that somehow makes it “better.” Ill stick with Firefox thanks. When they decide to fall in line with the other companies and publically add this to their model, I will be forced to find a new product. Its market share is substantially less than its competitors, but hands down, is much better of a product to use.

1 Like

The nice thing is, these suggest features can be turned off. Though I do not like that they are enabled by default, I still think this is less data tracking than using Google, Chrome, Brave, Safari, Opera, etc. I get the feeling, and from watching the document I mentioned earlier and from watching the video you posted, that Firefox may be struggling financially and is reaching for a profitable means, IE selling some data that may be relatively harmless? That can be argued of course, but it just makes me wonder. Ads bring a lot of $ in to the table I guess. I use extensions that bloack this stuff. I still prefer Firefox over all other browsers, for the time being. I really hope they don’t move to a profit model cause when/if they do, it will be over for Firefox being the privacy based go to browser. Everyone will be using TOR, oh noes, thats based on Firefox too… yea, idk what to say. Thanks for sharing this!

1 Like

I tested mine and it works beautifully. Im on PopOS and using Firefox with all that suggested bs turned off, and using ProtonVPN installed by the CL with their new VPN APP for linux. You can use DNSleaktest to see if your ip is being leaked or not.

Money will always win. I made my peace with that and honestly best decision I ever made

Now I run what I want and this stuff amuses me while drunk.

Highly highly recommend brave. Easy to install on Linux and windows now. There’s No point in using a browser that sells you out like Firefox after claiming that they care about your privacy and open source software. That to me is more egregious than knowingly using a chromium based browser with it’s guts ripped out to make it private

sudo pacman -S brave-bin

Let’s make browsers great again and teach Mozilla the lesson it deserves… to go bye bye from the face of software

Only realisticallly 5 percent of users use it now. Let’s reduce that to 0 :joy::ok_hand:t4:

They also stifle competition when it comes to somebody forking their browser or trying to make it better and that’s why mozilla is really terrible. They don’t care about open source and honestly them dying would be the best thing ever because it would open the door for somebody to create a browser that’s not going to be in base that would actually have a chance in fighting against a homogenous browser base. Imho the Mozilla public license is totally trash and they have just hurt software in a lot of ways tbch.

Google is laughing so hard rn it’s not even measurable. They are coughing up a lung laughing so hard

The irony when using Brave.

4 Likes

There is no irony when there is no browser that doesn’t sell you out then using one that’s more efficient using one that you can turn that off on and using one that’s ungoogled. no irony at all.

It’s a better performing browser it’s more lightweight it takes advantage of battery optimizations.

It also provides access to the Ethereum name service as well as IPFS and I don’t have to do that with any add-ons Firefox has gone a very bad direction see there’s no hypocrisy on braves end because they’re open about it and they never made grand to claims about wanting to protect the world’s privacy like Mozilla does and then turns around and stabs you in the back

So I very much hope that this is one of the biggest crippling blows they can have and you know what if they survive great but they better learn their lesson

That’s what I’m fighting against here It’s hypocrisy and brave makes no such claims that make it hypocritic … But Firefox does and they have lost a lot of people’s trust including my own.

Quite frankly they deserve to have less than 6% market share

Point is Brave touts privacy and is probably one of the worst offenders. But you do you I guess.

2 Likes

It’s really not and really what we’re living in is the end of an era and that end of an era is the end of the Firefox era It’s not bad when software dies The reality is opens up the market too a disruptor and Firefox is not that disrupter and never will be. They did a great thing back in the day taking over Netscape navigator and there’s nothing to discount that they’ve done good things in the past but what they are now is barely a skeleton of a relic of what they were

At the end of the day there’s a reason why chromium-based webkits are winning hands-down compared to Firefox any day and it’s associated gecko web kit

That’s the best thing too is because chromium is technically open source and there’s a lot of ungooled versions of it pick your poison it’s out there and it’s honestly better than Firefox at this point because it’s not that Firefox is software is terrible It is the company behind it driving it into the ground that needs to be destroyed

It’s not like somebody won’t pick up firefox’s work I absolutely believe they will because somebody did that for Netscape

The exceptionally poor leadership at Mozilla and the politicization of the entire organization has led to the downfall of quality software

Someone should fork it and make the whole damn browser, engine and webkit GPLv2. But the only way thats gonna happen is if Mozilla keels over and dies

I think it’s simpler than that.

• On iOS Safari was present and good enough from an end user perspective
  • On Android there were other default options installed - either Android Browser or Chrome.

People do not install alternatives if the default works well enough.

2 Likes

Anyone remotely interested in privacy turns off all “suggestions” in everything they use anyway, because they know that leaking data is the only way that “suggestions” can possibly work. This has applied to every browser or application from every vendor ever made.

This ‘news’ is a non-issue that has precisely zero impact on people that care about privacy, because those people have been disabling “suggestions” for decades.

Mozilla/Firefox being the last to the party in implementing this ‘feature’ is also a non-issue. It’s equivalent to a 2021 auto-maker announcing that they are going to be installing poorly-positioned cup holders in their new cars. /yawn

3 Likes

@mihawk90 is correct, PLL.

Brave is absolutely selling out it’s users almost as much as Chrome is. They’ve specifically refused being associated with privacy-first organizations multiple times, and they have done a number of things that don’t make sense, like whitelisting facebook, until you realize that they aren’t a browser dev. They’re a marketing company. They just wear the skin of privacy.

Top comment here: https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/bhzfk9/concerns_about_brave_browser/

Auto-adding affiliate links here: Brave Privacy Browser Caught Automatically Adding Affiliate Links to Cryptocurrency URLs - CPO Magazine and here: Privacy browser Brave under fire for violating users’ trust - Decrypt

Bugs with privacy issues that were present for a long time without being addressed: Brave Developers Finally Look Into a Privacy Issue Present for Over a Month – CryptoMode

More information on one of these problematic bugs: Brave privacy bug exposes Tor onion URLs to your DNS provider

Some other issues: Brave (web browser) - Wikipedia

1 Like

I still think it is somewhat of an issue for the privacy conscious, each additional feature like this increases the odds that you will miss one during setup even if that was not your intent.

Even for the non-privacy-conscious, who might not understand what is happening when search suggestions are used, sending search query data to two providers rather than one is still worse.

What I found most troubling, however, is that Enhanced/Contextual Suggestions is blurring the line between offline and online features in a confusing if not intentionally deceptive way. The screenshot on Mozilla’s support page, shows a preferences page where Contextual Suggestions is not distinguished at all from the offline options, in a way the suboption “Include occasional sponsored suggestions” furthers this illusion; I would not be surprised if some privacy-minded individuals might accidentally leave Contextual Suggestions on, assuming that only the sponsored suggestions are an online feature.

1 Like

Ehh I dont really care tbh. My gripe is with firefox. I expect chromium based browsers to be that way. So its a non starter as a convincing argument to me so stop trying.

There is no good browser. People should stop circle jerking firefox like it is. THAT SAID… there is this

https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/

This thread should ultimately be closed tbch. Everything thats been said is all in this threads 200 posts

2 Likes

I’ll be transitioning to librewolf over the next few days myself, but there’s the thing - I think there’s more to be said here.

1 Like