Firefox is open-source and has less than 6% market share

:joy: flex on poors by building from source in less than a minute. Man I should stream that daily

Where is my yes Chad meme when I need it

If you built librewolf in under a minute, you didn’t actually build from source.

it took my system when I had your CPU like 25 minutes to build it?

I honestly forget how long, but it wasn’t quick.

You must have just downloaded the binary.

2 Likes

I’m never building it from source that was a joke (Chad meme come on lol). I just grab the binary.

I have no care to build it from source tbch. It’s a waste of work. I’m not running Gentoo :joy:

In any case I’ll try to keep using LibreWolf I think I might turn on some things That just don’t make sense to be switched off for me

It’s nice that it uses less memory

https://unixsheikh.com/articles/choose-your-browser-carefully.html#tweaking-firefox

I got this from the legendary redgek who’s no longer with us…

Well he is with me but on minimal encrypted text protocols :joy:

That said Falkon is mentioned. Interesting. Not a common browser. I think it’s kde default?

2 Likes

Yes, falkon replaced konqueror.

1 Like

Manifest v3-based extensions are coming and google is gonna force it. Like firefox is going to be forced to accept it because of the sheer market share of chrome/chromium

Probably because of the privacy issue you mentioned; OCSP requests can reveal your activity to the CA and, if sent in the clear, to others on your local network. Just because it is not very granular, one should not assume that users will be fine with it; it breaks the assumption of, “when I visit site A only A and sites it embeds will know of my visit,“ to have your activity made known to a certificate authority.

MacOS had an developer code-signing OCSP issue not too long ago that made people more aware of the privacy implications of OCSPs rather than CRLs, I would not be surprised if LibreWolf changed this setting in part due to that.

Probably a way to prevent device fingerprinting; I know Tor’s TTB fork of Firefox includes a warning/disable mechanism for canvas fingerprinting, WebGL probably provides a similar source of de-anonymising information.

See, I think this is the root of the problem; Firefox is arguing the same thing with regard to its “features”, Firefox and you/I have a difference of opinion where the balance is, and when there a mismatch, that privacy is vulnerable by default.

I would much prefer what you have experienced with LibreWolf, where privacy was the default, and the user needs to loosen restrictions.
Fail safe, rather than fail unsafe, if you will.

I am not so sure; the marketshare of users who use extensions is probably much less skewed toward Chrome than the marketshare of all users. Still in Chrome’s favour I would bet, but less so.

That’s a fair point. I’m working on some modifications to libre wolf to harden ssl responses.

It much like Firefox still allows older ciphers. That’s annoying

If the team’s mindset is what I imagine it to be, disabling vulnerable ciphers sounds like a change they would be willing to make.

I found their override. Im gonna modify it and make my own defaults

They broke Ipv6 and I absolutely rely on it so Im trying to fix that

Fixed it:

Broke - accidentally, or as an intentional attempt to disable?

seems this but I dont care. I understand the problems with 6 but I use it

Maybe its time to make a Librewolf thread @PhaseLockedLoop ? :joy:

3 Likes

yeah maybe. I need to change that fallback order

If so, ask a mod move/copy my Q&A with @ThatGuyB there; I suspect many interested in a close-to-upstream Firefox fork would have similar questions.

2 Likes

Do we actually want to create it because I wouldnt mind doing that and closing this thread

user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", false);
user_pref("network.http.fast-fallback-to-IPv4", false);

also I had to rescure librewolfs cert policy

1 Like

So is there no chance the leadership of Mozilla will look to increasing marketshare, over the current tactic of wringing whatever monetary deals they seem to be looking at?

6% does in fact seem tiny, but at the same time, that is a heck of a lot more than desktop linux, so not completely insignificant.

I presume Edge+chromium is heading upwards as FF goes down?
And edge+chromium is apparently not a horrendous pile of crap

1 Like

@qtwork @SgtAwesomesauce

Thread created.

I dont feel this thread serves much a purpose anymore. I think you may safely close it if my thread diverts all the attention

Feel free to throw shade at firefox as it deserves in the thread as well. :wink:

1 Like