Finishing touches

Change of plans with my friends build, he’s got a bundle from newgg, that included MOBO and CPU, everything is paid and shipped now he just needs a good GPU,HDD and of course CPU cooler, any recommendations? he has the SSD for OS and main software
CPU: ryzen 5 1600x
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3
PSU: EVGA 500 B1 100-B1-0500-KR 80+ BRONZE 500W,
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming.

Here’s a starting point. Placeholder SSD, not sure if you need more storage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.33 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $746.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-12 20:36 EST-0500

Add a cheap RGB LED kit from amazon and you’ll be good to go. Perhaps find one powered via USB if you want an easy setup.

3 Likes

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4MDqcc

Pretty similar to the guy above, either way I recommend building around a Ryzen 1600 CPU with a B350 motherboard and take it from there.

wait, wouldn’t it be $820.71, because I don’t think that SSD is free, plus my friend already has an SSD for his OS just needs another HDD for his games.

You stated your friend had a SSD. I wasn’t sure what size or what model, so I just slapped a placeholder drive in there. Didn’t know if it was enough for games either. Adding a 1TB hard drive should only be $50 or so and keep the price (before tax) around $800.

yeah, he has a 120SSD I’m just waiting on his feedback for the lists, but I noticed you guys going for different cases/PSU/GPU/RAM. would a AMD GPU bring the price lower?

Nope, they’re still terrible price-performers simply because there isn’t enough stock. A RX 580 usually hovers around the low $300, wheras a similarly performing GTX 1060 is $250 or less depending on what variant you get.

Case you specified as a glass side panel, and I wanted to stick with mATX since the board is also mATX. Not many options there. Both PSUs are good, just get whichever one is cheaper. GTX 1070 puts it over budget, hence GTX 1060 in my build. I went with faster RAM since Ryzen generally benefits from higher clocked RAM, but 2400mhz ram should still perform quite well if you wanted to shave costs somewhere.

Prices are coming down. Sure it’s the 4GB but it’s not gimped vs the 8GB like the Nvidia 1060’s.

2 Likes

what a solid, all purpose build… good jerb.:sunglasses:

Yeah… My friend is not going to buy any parts right now, because he’s in debt. I’m just building his list now,because he wants to start building on February.

AMD’s Zen platform is expected to refresh in February, so any parts list you might put together today will be well outdated by then.

ooooh, a build… I did not look at the others first. I like to go in with a clear mind so I can work with the budget, and goals for the build (performance and upgrade path in this case).

I will look at the other builds now.

The idea here was to try for a X370 board to have a more stable upgrade path. Something like an 8 core CPU upgrade would benefit from better power delivery. I chose to instead go with better RAM, and a decent B350 board.

4 cores/8 threads should be good for a few years of gaming. Things are changing though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($148.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($29.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 4GB NITRO+ Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: ARCTIC - Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($4.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: ARCTIC - Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($4.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $764.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-13 01:10 EST-0500

$25 of wiggle room.

Slightly cheaper RAM and the wiggle room would get you the 1600.
I’d also consider the jump to a 1TB HDD… but include a HDD in the price is good, and 500gb would do.
Also while I have a fractal design case (define r4), and do recommend it, I 100% support the cheaper case for a <$1k build. The cougar has very similar layout, equal cooling ability and won’t fall to bits from normal use (it even supports ATX mobo’s, unlike what newegg lists), so its really only the experience of building in the case and visuals of the rubber grommets you loose, but the extra money will make a difference on the build.

I seriously considered less money on the RAM, to accommodate the 6 core CPU, I even tried for a GTX 1070.

I guess the reason for the better RAM is to focus on the performance of the available cores instead of just throwing more cores in. Games are not often focusing on single core performance any longer, and the way of the quad core gaming CPU seems to be rapidly dying. If it was not for the extra 4 threads, I would have not recommended this CPU.

I can’t be sure, but I estimate that there are around two good years of gaming left on the 4C/8T CPU before it starts acting like 4-core i5’s are starting to act with newer games today.

I would have liked to throw in a X370 board for better power delivery as well. This socket will probably have a decent upgrade path.

What kind of monitor does he have?
He he the type that may want try OC’ing?

Just saw this… my advice changes, DON’T plan now, everything will have changed by then. Coffee lake will have cheap mobo’s and stock everywhere (so pricing near MSRP), NVIDIA volta may or may not be out, and Ryzen refresh may have just happened, or be on the near horizon. Even stuff like storage will likely move a noticeable bit in price for a given size over 4 months.

3 Likes