Finding a new forum?

Using PHP based forums don’t feel as rewarding to use as more modern ones live Discourse. That site needs a major facelift.

1 Like

Does anyone use the OCUK forum?
It seems pretty busy, but seldom even lurk, except when eagerly searching for release dates/hints on new tech

1 Like

It needs a major face lift? Are you kidding? It looks pretty much like this, LTT or any other website I have come across that is legit. Doesn’t feel as rewarding because of PHP? I will tell you I don’t even know what that is but it sure as heck doesn’t mean Pure OC is even close to bad.

I’m spoiled about the speed and featurefullness of this forum. That’s really it.

3 Likes

Dude, it looks straight out of '05. It looks nothing like Level1techs. Now I understand that its function over form; but these days form is part of the function and people expect both. Nothing is more unappealing to a modern audience that something ugly.

How does its feature set compare to Discourse? Can you @people, does it pull updates via XHR or does new content need a manual REST request? What about mod tools, visibility, or tag searching? Does it use markdown? How is the scale-ability for large displays?

I see there was a mobile mode, which is good. Although, hidden on the bottom and not sure if it loaded automatically accordingly. I like to view this site on my phone when I’m away.

1 Like

vBulletin will always be superior in my heart.

I also know where everything is there so… That helps.

2 Likes

Ahh, see I’ve never used it before. So from my perspective it looks highly dated. It leads me to question its usefulness.

1 Like

Its extremely useful once you learn it. To me, discourse is like KDE. As long as you stay out of the settings you won’t be confused at all. But as soon as you open it you don’t know where anything is.

vBulletin is like using XFCE. Everything is very obvious in its placement and everything makes sense in that you are looking for it, whats the obvious label that you would put, thats probably what it is, oh look theres what you are looking for.

I’ve also been told I’m daft and want the “Good old days” back, even though I’m younger than anyone that says that lol.

2 Likes

A good UI should be intuitive. One thing that I noticed right off the bat was the dump of information everywhere. For elements that are not axioms, they should be abstracted away or displayed in menu’s.

1 Like

IMO I want to know what users are looking at what, or how many. How many logons, who is viewing my thread, on top of the normal things. This is why I really really love BBS systems, vBulletin is literally a graphical BBS built for the browser. Thats what it was built for.

XDA’s forum system is what could be described as vBulletin V.4 but 3 was the last one. Its a continuation in many ways though, whether they intended for it or not.

1 Like

Yet it serves the same purpose as any other message board software by design. Of which none should be judged solely by the software used to present the given material.

XDA Developers Forum.
My secondary home away from home.

When Aremis asked for a new forum to go to I was thinking of pc / laptop users and not phone users. Aremis did not mention anything about needing it to work with a phone. Also **** smartphones.

1 Like

funny enough, vBulletin 3 works fine on cellphones :stuck_out_tongue:

Overclock is hit or miss if you’re looking for advice or trying to work out a problem. You can post a thread and it gets views but no one ever responds. Not exactly a welcoming community if someone joined cause they have a problem or want advice on picking a part. That doesn’t encourage people to stick around.

Your right about that, I was trying to help someone else with a 7850k and saw the thread was 2 years old.
I was comparing them to our overclocking section :slight_smile:

In my opinion Whirlpool is the best choice if you want a balance of topics/discussions, if you don’t mind work and home discussions Spiceworks has a good forum but the Linux crowd is more server leaning than desktop usage.

As far as Linus Tech Tips its a “meh” for Linux/Unix, there is always a Windows user(s) who spark platform snide remarks about a Linux user who might own a Mac to get the best of both worlds(Adobe CC) and threads turn into an edit/removed/locked fest. On a more hilarious side of forums, MacRumors once “warned+1 day banned” me for discussing how iOS 8 still had a 3rd party certificate push bug from iOS 7… in the end I stopped actively posting about security issues and refuse to report security bugs in OS X/iOS to Apple. (I’m sure Apple pressured their mods/admin, if you give a company 90 days to “fix” the bug and they still haven’t its their own stupidity)

Outdated Bash shell is not worth it IMO. Especially, now that WSL exists.

He doesn’t need to, anything worth its salt in today’s era will have a mobile/adaptive interface. At least if it wants to get new users.

I use a mix of Boot Camp for Linux and Parallels if I need to multi-task on both OSes so I don’t rely upon Bash on OS X. In the past I could get away with having two notebooks at my desk(Thinkpad+MacBook Pro) but it does become a bit too cramped.