Finding a new forum?

It would mostly be a protest vote, but that’s all I really have to say. I don’t think we need it. I think the discord is more than satisfactory a gap for people who just HAVE to talk about politics can traverse if they are that bothered. It almost ruined the site before, and I don’t want to see it again.

Just my opinion.

4 Likes

Oh, I agree. I’m just making a point that you can avoid it if you’d like to. (Frankly, that’s what I’d do and my vote will always be against politics on this forum)

I’ve noticed the same. I frequent this site, daily, though I rarely post or comment. Have quite a few things and projects going on I could post, but for some reason I never get around to it. I’ll make this a commitment to get back to posting projects and writeups.

2 Likes

Next week, I’m going to talk about the major project I’m getting into. I just want to wait till all the hardware is there so I can post sweet, sweet nudes.

4 Likes

I think this forum is perfect for you:

https://linustechtips.com/main/

My body is ready.

1 Like

I’ve been dropping hints all week in various places, but it’s gonna be fun.

Anyways, let’s not derail: @FaunCB be the change you want to see in the forum

1 Like

I’m not saying we are doing it. If we ever we’re I think it would be a section like off topic, allowed to a certain TL for example.

I know what you mean. Though I don’t think we’ve had this kind of stuff recently?

That GPP thread is still getting bumped with insanity :rofl: :joy:

@FaunCB I think you can contribute a lot. You were speaking about laptop reviews recently, especially regarding Linux compatibility.

You could also document/Blog/Wiki the projects you have going on.

Even do an off topic piece about life on the farm.

Don’t go plz.

2 Likes

^^^

We had a few threads like this one around this time last year. The forum slows down in the summer time, likely due to vacations and other summer business. We always get an uptick again in the fall though (especially with students starting school and wanting help with projects again).

If you want to see more activity, of course your first option is to post yourself. :stuck_out_tongue: Alternatively, maybe just leave for a month or two and come back. Nothing like some time apart for a little perspective. We’ll be here either way. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

A lot of my replies are like that, and some times I do know the answer but they are asked in a way that I know they wouldn’t be interested in my answer. Mostly when it’s something like how do I do this with a GUI and I know how to do it without a GUI, or when people are asking about a GUI program to handle something and I know how to solve it with a script or writting a config file to do it.

1 Like

Stack overflow is good for those single serving deep dives, maybe that can scratch the itch when it’s slow here?

2 Likes

I bide my time on IRC tbh.
it’s so much more temporal and that makes engagement necessary or the topic will pass and you will lose your “spot” so to speak.

Also small Discord servers/group chats are also pretty good, though you need to have some context for it.

If you want a lot of back and forth, steady engagement, those two things usually scratch that itch for me

I like the (. Owners Club)'s they have at overclock.net, Unfortunately they don’t have one for the 7850K.
Did have some fun on the comments section of my local news section.

I have come to terms that the newsgroups, where Linux was born, are not coming back :frowning:
Past 3 weeks I have been working 6 days a week.
The lounge has always been the Crown Jewel of the forum. The reason people from all over the world come here

Has it occurred to you that this thought process may be the problem?
As others have said, if there’s not much going on, why don’t you make posts about your projects, start a discussion, etc. When hundreds/thousands of people think “well there’s nothing I’m interested in / there’s not much going on / I’ll leave and come back eventually” All those people leave and there’s even less people contributing.

So I’ll just reiterate what others have said, why not be the one to start a discussion rather than complaining that nobody else has started it?

The thought process may be the problem in some cases, but I take the dead zones and try to post to get the lurkers to pop out. Sometimes they do.

The earlier comment of farm stuff is the thing bouncing around in my head.

are you leaving me???

2 Likes

XD

I’m not going anywhere.

2 Likes

They do actually, in the “home” section.

2 Likes

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/forum.php

This is a forum that deserves more love. Heck they did legit giveaways even when they knew they didn’t have numbers. Reviews on things are decent and it is informative. It even has an OS area which includes Linux related stuff. I really don’t understand how their site has not grown bigger.

2 Likes