Finally upgrading my r9 290 and 1800x, any gotchas?

Thanks for the input!

@wertigon I can get the 5800X for basically the same price as the 5700X here (160€ vs 150€). This is part of what prompted me to rethink.

@MisteryAngel Can you explain how the X370 holds me back in my build, compared to X570? It supports the 5000-series CPUs and as per Necrosaro’s link I assumed the PCIe 3.0 will not bottleneck me. I can’t think of any connectivity needs.

Ah, you’re from EU, my bad. Then yeah, what you want on AM5 will cost you ~€1500, and your AM4 upgrade package outlined above (5800X3D, 32GB RAM and 7900 XTX) will cost you ~€1300. With a 5700X and a 7900 GRE, that brings total costs down to ~€820, here is the german PCPP which should be a fairly close match:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5700X €167.32
Memory G.Skill Aegis 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 €66.90
Video Card Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 GRE €584.98
Total €819.20

And for the sake of it, let’s fill in the other parts too to give a good idea of how much more expensive it gets, here is a full system that could last you three years in gaming:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5700X €167.32
Motherboard MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI €113.79
Memory G.Skill Aegis 2x16 DDR4-3200 CL16 €66.90
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 €90.49
Video Card Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 GRE €584.98
Case KOLINK Observatory MX Mesh ARGB €64.90
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 ARGB 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular €109.90
Total €1198.28

As I said before, all of this is speculation and suggestions. Building AM4 when you can build AM5 today feels kind of meh, but reality is that AM4 is still a cheaper build than AM5 especially in Europe, and still viable enough. This also makes me think that AM5 will stick around until at least Zen 6…

If you don’t mind me coming in again here before MisteryAngel responds with another opinion…going from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0

I know this is on content creation but it’s close to gaming as well

The difference is minimal and with the new board unless you are overclocking,needing the other features(thunderbolt stuff like that) or any issues arrive(caps leaking) then the move would be small

The big thing is OS have so much garbage in them and fat that by the time people start there game some people have 3.2 gigs of ram taken up by the system and apps they use. There is a old saying that unused ram is wasted ram. I hate it when I hear that. Unused ram is not being utilized by the cpu and other parts. Less ram usage benefits so many things more then just the ram.

Look at people’s task bars sometimes…before gaming they are doing 20-30 percent usage! That practically downgrades the full potential of that cpu.

I am going off topic a bit but in the end a clean os, decent cpu,great ram and a great gpu and really do wonders

Thanks again for putting this together wertigon, but I’m pretty much set on going top-of-the-line on GPU again and riding that as long as possible. Might be a weird choice, and I know I’m not getting the most out of that right now, but I’m hopeful to be happy with that still in > 5 years and pave my way for my next non-GPU upgrades.

With the RAM upgrades though, I see another route of going with entry-level AM5, like a 7600X, which I can get for 190€. With the motherboard this might be a bit more expensive than my other plans, but a lot more future proof, by buying DDR5 instead of DDR4 and not further investing in the old AM4 platform.

Thinking something like this: Part List - AMD Ryzen 5 7600X, Radeon RX 7900 XTX - PCPartPicker

1 Like

Not a bad choice, though I am not a huge fan of that motherboard which will not support PCIe 5.0 on the x16 slot. Cheapest Motherboard to support this, however, is the €251 ASRock B650E PG Riptide WIFI. (Make sure it is the B650E variant, not the B650)

Two even better options IMO would be the €274 ASRock X670E PG Lightning or the €304 MSI X670E Tomahawk WiFi. Remember, we are buying top of the line so we can slot in a top of the line Zen 5 or Zen 6 CPU eventually.

As for buying as cheap of a CPU as possible… Have you also considered the €190 Ryzen 8500G or the €203 Ryzen 7600? This might be cheaper where you live, or it might not be, but those two might help to get a top of the line Zen 5 / 6 CPU sooner.

It kinda depends on your personal needs and possible future needs.
You pretty much gave the answer to your question yourself.
You leave some potential of the cpu on the table in regards pci-e bandwidth and connectivity.
But that might not be an issue for your particular use case.

However if you want to upgrade to a highend gpu and stick with it for years,
than in my opinion it might be worth considering upgrading to am5 eventually.
In certain games the 7800X3D does show a decent jump in gaming performance.
So my point is more like ¨do the upgrade once¨ and stick to it a couple of generations,
pretty much like you did with your current setup.
AM5 likely gives you that upgrading path for a couple of generations of cpu´s.
That way you pretty much get the most out of your hardware over time.

But if you look for the most cost effective way to gain performance.
Than of course upgrading the CPU, GPU and PSU is the most cost effective option.

1 Like