Finalising high end AMD build

Hey guys,

I would like to replace my 6 year old 3770k system with a brand new ryzen build. I have previously worked on computers but never completely planned and build a whole system. Considering the price, I am a bit nervous.

What I would like to know is:

• Do these components work together?
  • Opinions and suggestions

The system will be bought in Germany (Retailer: caseking). Budget: 2,000€-2,500€. Some workstation, more gaming workloads. Gaming: Quality over fps, 1440p. Hardware: Trying to get good performance, but looks are also important to me.

Components:

1. Coolermaster H500M 200€

2. Corsair HX850i 190€

3. Corsshair Hero 7 WiFi x470 310€

4. Ryzen 2700x (4.25 all core, 4.5 single core, hopefully :wink: ) 330€

5. AIO NZXT x62 Kraken 280mm 160€

6. Trident z 3200 cl14 F4-3200C14D-16GTZR 230€-280€

7. samsung 970 evo nvme 500gb 150€
    existing 500gb sata ssd 0€
    existing 4tb WD hdd 0€

8. Strix 2080 O8G 970€

==> 2,540€

Why I choose each part. Skip if you think too long to read. Just trying to answer questions in advance. Suggestions are highly appreciated.

1. Good appearance, great airflow, ok price for up to 4 x tempred glass
  2. PSU calculator suggested 850W, reliable brand, love the ability to read out temps, watts and volts via usb
  3. I need wifi. Wifi x470 starts at 250€ (taichi). So 60 bucks more is not too bad. Love the appearance. Don’t like the appearence of the taichi or the Aorus too much. Great overclocking. Should allow me to upgrade the cpu in the future or to maybe use 2 nvme ssd’s down the line or to use 2 gpu’s if i need to
  4. Always wanted an eight-core. Thats just a personal thing. And with the 9900k between 720€ and 930€ if available at all, Intel isn’t an option. And with 4.5 single core overclock and fast memory the gaming performance should be fine. I normally choose high quality settings over fps anyways. Should be more than enough for my occasional workstation tasks.
  5. Great looks. High quality brand. 280mm should be enough for the overclock.
  6. 16gb, balance between high speed and tight timings
  7. Fast storage for the os, nvme and 500gb should last for the next 5 years. Sata SSD mostly for games and software, it’s free anyways. 4gb data grave.
  8. 2080 should be fine for 1440p@60fps at max settings. About 100€ more than the cheapest 2080. But I love the appearance, nice black back-plate, quiet and huge triple fan heatsink. Top performance and oc.

If you read till here, thank you very much for your time. I am already looking forward to your replies.

Well, since I own a 2700X system I thought I might go ahead and give my two cents^^

In the AM4 mainboard thread it was mentioned that ASRock and ASUS (apparently) have the best mosfets on X370 boards, so that probably holds on X470. I opted for the Taichi in the end due to slightly better mosfets. (If you truly want to know about the mosfet and VRM quality, I’d recommend buildzoid’s videos). Anyway, the only thing I do miss on this board would be a double BIOS which should be standard on premium boards in my opinion.

NZXT’s Kraken is great, I have the same one and I’m not disappointed. However, you do have to use the CAM software to regulate it, which is a minor or greater annoyance depending on your point of view. Also, the AIO regulates temperature according to Tctl and not Tdie, which is why I had to create a custom fan curve. (But I think they fixed it now).

Reading out the temperature of your PSU sounds great, but keep in mind that it probably does that by means of a USB 2 header. Your AIO also needs a USB 2 header, as does your PC case. So, you might run out of USB 2 headers. (I have :D)

While Ryzen gets faster with faster RAM, it should be mentioned that my system runs pretty fast with DDR4 2400 memory. However, it is dual rank (dual rank has nothing to do with dual channel) memory, which might increase the performance. It is not much slower than a friend of mine’s system with 3200 memory.

Last but not least, let me start this subsection with the info that I totally dislike Nvidia due to their treatment with customers and partners. Hence, I’d probably pick a Vega 64 over a 2080. Sure the 2080 is faster (and also more expensive), but Vega 64 is a decent card and doesn’t pull so much power when it’s optimised (Undervolting, AMD Chill).
I also think that the 2080 is in a bad spot from a price-performance point of view and would sooner pick a 2080ti or a 2070.

P.S.: Don’t forget storeMI

1 Like

Look for a 1080ti instead.

Nah, vega 64 is way weaker for gaming.

1 Like

Honestly, this is where my concerns come in. I don’t think there’s any reason to buy the 20 series, unless you want to develop with RTX. RTX is not production ready and will not be a smooth experience this gen. Not to say don’t get it, but just trying to manage expectations.

As @anon46267848 said, the 1080ti is a much better value proposition and beats the 2080 if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Now I wonder how much watts my rig s*cks from the wall as I have a pretty similar setup now. Except with a 1070 (but exact same cpu+mb). I didnt test the wifi though, just got that one for inbuilt blutooth and maybe i need wifi sometime somewhere. I have a 650 seasonic ultra titanium. Its pretty redicolously expensive for a PSU, but I thought at the time why not its probably gonna be the last PSU my desktop will ever need (for quite some time, it comes with a 12 years warrently at least xD). 850w seems a bit overkill to me though. I have a wattage reader somewhere, so I can actually try what it pulls from the wall directly. Though since its a titanium rated psu its gonna be a bit less from that. It does not have many ‘features’ to read stuff out. Only a single physical button on the PSU to allow it to completely stop the fan whenever it can do that. Kinda a side effect from being very efficient is that it does not get as hot.

I would also recommend you look at 1070ti or 1080tis. Id say a 1070ti is enough for 1440p.

For ram kits Ive got this one F4-3200C14D-32GVK. Even though its not on the QVL ive got that one as what I wanted was no rgb, 2x16gb and good frequency/timings. There wasnt a whole lot on the QVL. This one is supposed to be samsung b die. Didnt yet find out if it really is, maybe you gotta pull of the heatspreader for that and look whats underneath. Anyways, Im not gonna bother as mine runs stable in realbench and prime at 3200mhz cl14 timings at 1.35v. So… it does at the very least what it sais it should be able to. I didnt try to oc it beyond that though.

I agree with you. 1080ti’s were around 750€ for the same performance. Sadly, they sold out shortly after the 20series launch. I guess a lot of people have been waiting to upgrade and were disappointed. Caseking has completely removed its 1080ti section, so I guess they won’t get restocked. The only ones available are on amazon and cost 1000€, totally overpriced due to demand.
I would like to get more than a 1070 ti and vega64 is also around 600€ so I guess I’m left without many options. 2080ti at 1500€ for the strix has even less value than the 2080.

That’s probably because of the 2080. It’s listed as 300W and I entered overclocked into the psu calculator.

In the very next sentence of this quote, I state that the 2080 is faster (and also more expensive). My argument is that a Vega 64 is a good card for 1440p gaming (even 4k gaming, though that depends on your fps-preferences).

Why I’m mentioning AMD in general is because when buying products you don’t only buy the product, but you also support the company’s politics and how it treats others, the environment, etc.
If you make for yourself the decision that you do not care about this in a specific sector, than that’s your deicision. I just wanted to remind @flip2433 of Nvidia’s malpractices :wink:

Concerning PSUs: I have an overkill PSU myself, a Corsair RMi 1000, but it was discounted when I picked it up. Generally speaking, I’d go with a 850W PSU just like you said. You never know what you might add to the system and as long as it’s in the effective range of your PSU you should be fine.

Can I make recommendation?

psu quite expensive for what it is…
You could get Enermax 850W Platimax cheaper, or Seasonic 850W Titanium for pretty much same price.

GPU meh, is meh…you may be able to grab used 1080ti cheaper… choice is yours.

With x470 board and 2700x ryzen you can grab faster member 3400 or so… worth a shot i guess, (if you want to work out that little extra)

In terms of AIO i guess you went for looks; from benches it seems evga’s aio looks quite good. Your choice of esthetics… i’d personally would fork out extra 150$ and do a custom loop.

Wenn it comes to the X470 line of boards the Asus Crosshair VII Hero has the best vrm out there.
10+2 phase design with by IR3555M 60A powerstages.
And also the best bios for overclocking imo, for what its worth on Ryzen in general…
The Asrock X470 Taich still has the same vrm as its X370 preducessor.
Its still a decent vrm with 12+4 phase design with 25A / 40A max CSD78350 Ti Nexfets.
But Asrock’s bios still has some points that could be improved on.

The only thing i have to mention about the build in the OP,
is that 850W for a single RTX2080 shouldnt be needed.
Unless you plan to do an sli setup.
But then i’m not fully sure that AMD Ryzen would be the best choice really.
Depending on the main workload you want to use this machine for,
which i’m assuming is gaming.
Unless your gaming goals are gaming at 4K ultra with a single RTX2080.
Because then you will be gpu bound most of the scenario’s.

But gaming on a RTX2080 sli setup, then intel is probablly where you want to be in terms of cpu horse power.

1 Like

Good to know (concerning the X470 mosfets). That being said, calling the Taichi’s VRM “decent” might be an understatement :smiley:

Well, AMD currently has a better performance for price value. Also, currently I’m using my 2700X (almost) mostly for gaming, but I’m still glad I have an octa core, since it enables me to have various things running in the background. Sure that might be possible on a hexa core as well, but I think an octa core positions itself better in that regard. (However, this also depends on your particular usage :wink: )

The X470 Taichi Ultimate delivers more power than any available AM4 chip could need, has 10Gbit LAN onboard, plays extremely nice with linux and is 50,- Euros cheaper than the Asus CHVII. I have two of those, they are amazing.

The 2080 (really the whole 20XX series) is dumb. Don’t buy dumb, that would be dumb. If it has to be nvidia go for a 1080Ti. Otherwise I would strongly advise for a Vega card. (fuck ENVYdia)

For the PSU I would also suggest a seasonic unit.
For cooling I would go with the NH-D15 and since you are paying for a case window you could make it pretty with the chromax … things.

The choice of memory is perfect in my mind, same goes for 970EVO.

I like this AIO though :smiley: