Final Fantasy 14 & steam-windows games running on Linux

Ok, seen this as a resource for Linux information. I am perfectly sick and tired of Winblows 10. I will happily send Satya Nadella a box of horse crap with my Win 10 pro key inside if I can get a little information.

What is the best approach to start with on Debian Linux to getting Final Fantasy 14 running on Linux at 60+ 1080p? Is it wine? Is it a VM?

Also how to tell Steam how to run Windows only games via Wine? I do not particlarly want to lose half my games on Steam.

My gaming box specs are as followed

AS Rock K4 Gaming with a Ryzen 1700
trident-z 16 gigs
A zotac AMP 980 GTX watercooled (AIO)
SSDs, and SATA drives of many brands
A gsync 24 inch and a 27 inch

Already got a debian box setup on my 2670 with 32 gigs of REG DDR 3 for a server box and for my living room Lenovo as well. So I know a bit about Debian Linux. I just want to have a little help terminating the last chains holding me to hell itself…I meant Windows 10.

1 Like

I really dislike Wine and personally think that windows based programs/games must stay on windows. So my recommendation for you is to try virtual machine with GPU pass through also look into looking glass. There are plenty of topics about it on the forum.

I was afraid that was the case.

1 Like

Well this is only my opinion don’t forget.

Looking Glass seems interesting, At least I can put the devil to the background. I will have a read on this. If I cannot kill Windows at least getting it off my metal will make less of Microsoft’s hardware and back to being my own

1 Like

Looking Glass with a pfsense virtual LAN before your Windows Guest should be able to handle most of your privacy concerns. Make sure you get a high core count processor to reserve at least 2 cores for pfsense.

Your choice of words describing Windows seems a bit extreme. (edited, poorly worded maybe?)

Winehq will tell you how well games will work on it and what if anything doesn’t work. That’s your first call.

You have two alternatives, play your game on Windows, or don’t play Windows games.

3 Likes

See, MS is making that harder and harder cause Unity plugin devs are being told to drop Linux support, or their plugin won’t be supported on Xbox One under MS’ terms. Look at all recent Unity games that make use of extra post processing plugins… NONE of them are Linux compatible… I wonder why…

Got any articles backing that up? First time I’m hearing of it and would like to know more.

3 Likes

Terrible and non-surprising if true.

Same reason why a certain someone screamed bloody mary at the Tech Press for cowing before Nvidia…The GEforce Partner Program is toxic. Microsoft is creating more toxicity in the PC world instead of innovating,

1 Like

Have you tried any of the Wine Staging branches with DXVK ?

People have been seeing some positive results with the Vulkan DX wrapper:

I use wine under Linux for a lot of small applications that I just can’t find reasonable replacements for. Personally, I don’t see any issues with running Windows apps on Linux if it means I get some extra functionality.

Looking Glass is a better option of you want better performance and compatibility.

Most of the big AAA games on Linux are still not completely native either and use windows wrappers for things like DirectX protocols. So you generally see cases where Linux ports still get worse performance because of the extra compatibility layers in place.

1 Like

Misterk81,

That why I am researching right now. Sounds like you just gave me a great starting point. It been about six years since I last tried going straight Linux. I thankyou for that suggestion.

@WhisperSilk my first recommendation is to look into VM’s or looking glass if you want 1:1 performance. But, if you don’t feel like dealing with that, wine can work very well. At the moment wine supports DX7, 8, 9, 10, 10.1, and has rudimentary support for 11 bit it isn’t quite finished yet. Many games also run natively on linux, and any vulkan game will run 1:1 through wine.

Past that, I also recommend just keeping multiple machines for this sorta thing. My main machine is linux based. I don’t have the firepower to do VM stuff, but I’m happy with what I can play. I do have a Lenovo Y40-70 with windows 10 just for this sorta thing if I want to play something specific. Though, most of the time if I want to play any blizzard game it just works in wine, minus overwatch.

Hope that helps :3

1 Like

Wine 3.4 has “WineVulkan” enabled in it , but I haven’t tested it yet myself to give any thoughts on it.

Phoronix has a nice write up on it here:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-3.4-Released

I also suggest checking the Linux-Gaming forum at Reddit. It has a Wine sub-Reddit which is a good resource for any additional help.

The performance gains with the new Vulkan wrapped does look promising though. Here is am image comparison that I swiped from the comment section in the Phoronix article that I linked to.

This is running on an RX480, apparently.

1 Like

I believe this a good start. As long as Final Fantasy 14 and Elder Scrolls Online run on Vulkanwine I can skip Windows entirely for the most part. I am going to go ahead and do my own research now based off of what has been given here.

I thank those who have been helpful and giving abit of modern insight to what has been going on in Linux gaming.

1 Like

DXVK as of current does not work for Overwatch. Only Witcher.

Is there a list of all known supported DXVK games? I have seen videos of GTAV, Skyrim, Hellblade, Teken 7 and Fallout 4 running on DKVK with varying results. I’m curious what the compatibility is at this point.

There’s no official list, even on their wiki. It’s all based on bug reports at the moment.

I have had more BSODs and crashes with IOMMU and GPU passthrough on Windows in the last few months than I have in using Windows bare metal my whole life. Your mileage may vary. I recommend a tiny Windows partition with a shared drive for games, or don’t play Windows games.

1 Like