Fiber/Fibre and Cat6 running in same conduit - is that OK or a recipe for disaster?

Electric signals vs a light bulb :thinking:

Already part of the specs. Between the network chip and RJ45 socket is another “chip” which is actually 4 transformers/magnetic couplers/inductors that separate the cable from the PCB electrically. Sometimes this feature is integrated with the RJ45 socket or even the network chip itself.

1 Like

You don’t need a dedicated ethernet port for IPMI. Dell, HP and Supermicro servers at least can be configured to have the IPMI share the E1 network port with the host.

1 Like

Yes but no, not completely.

Those transformers are not meant to handle what you face worst-case if you get it wrong when running cat6 between buildings.

Also, if you run and wire cat6 to try and be future-proof-ish - it’ll be shielded, and that’s where the largest risk is.

Arguing about this is a bit besides the point - you can get it wrong with cat6. You can’t, with fiber - and he’s running fiber anyway. Run all the data through the fiber and avoid the issues entirely.

Elaborate? IIRC these magnetic couplers are rated for 1kV, well above anything you could find in buildings, save for actual sub-stations.

Anyway, if you’d read my messages carefully you’ll find I’m proposing exactly what you say: run his data via fibre between the buildings :wink:

Wow everyone, thank you so much for your contributions, so much appreciation coming your way :clap: :clap:

Wow, you and others have really got me thinking about the 1G connection idea…or lack of it connecting the buildings! :thinking:

My original thought was providing ‘sort of’ isolated traffic between the server and snapshot server, only giving them a 10G link as future proofing - at the moment I probably get around 1-3G transfer speeds, which I’m happy with, especially as most transfers will be incremental and so won’t be very big at all.

The rest of the house would get a 1G feed, knowing that the internet connection is only 35-70Mb here (UK), and I can’t see it getting any faster any time soon. I have to say, part of me is using the CAT because I’m familiar with it and can make accurate cable runs, whereas the fibre is something I would have to get pre-terminated :blush:

This being said though, I had forgotten about potential electrical risks that @jzono1 mentioned when it comes to CAT :+1: …reminds me of someone mentioning how this killed equipment in two buildings that were connected this way…certainly a big pro for fibre :thinking: Around here, lightning is incredibly rare, but even so.

I’ve played with link agg’, but can’t ever imagine needing 20G speeds, or even if I could utilise that! I like your thinking though :slight_smile:

Quite right, good point and if I have enough cable, I’ll certainly do that - no harm having a spare…anything, eh! :+1:

Thank you mate :+1: I mentioned you earlier, I had forgotten about the electrical risk. I might put cat in and only use it as a back up (disconnected). :+1: There will be surge / voltage protection in the build, probably RCBO - the CU in the house needs updating, along with a new Earth rod to the new building.

I like your thinking, cheers, but I can’t ever ever see myself needing that kinda speed, or having gear that can use it! I’m only in construction, tech isn’t my main thaaang :laughing: But thank you mate :+1: The idea is that the office gets the best speeds, then the server in the house, then I don’t care much for the rest of the house. It’s just about spending the network cost selfishly on me, the house doesn’t deserve it…though I’m not telling them that! :laughing:

Phone line is where the internet comes out of over here :slight_smile: Overhead phone lines to house, then underground to the office and to the router. I have the ‘real’ phone lines for business calls, I like not depending on the internet for them…even if the local exchange is probably digital these days!

I’m sure you’re right, but my gear is very low end, so the Supermicro (Supermicro X11SCL-F-O) for example has a dedicated IPMI network port, along with 2 x separate 1G ports, but I want that box to have 10G goodness to the server.
(disclaimer: I’m not that familiar with this stuff :blush: )

1 Like

well i’ve ran fiber and cat 6 through the same conduit professionally and noticed no problems. when i have the option i prefer not to as the local internet company may decide to cut and pull my cables if they feel like “it is their conduit and how dare i run through the customers conduit” at the customers request, but sometimes firewalls or building layout make it cheaper to do it this way and the customer doesnt want to pay to run a new conduit.

1 Like

Thank you for that, and very interesting stuff :+1:

Over here (UK), for residential stuff, we pretty much own anything after the phone socket, so putting in my own conduit is fair game and no worries. The phone line may end up being an extension of sorts, so it’s no problem at all. Your situation is a bit unfair, though may be you’re talking about commercial jobs may be? :+1:

I don’t know UK electrical code but that would be acceptable here.

1 Like

oh yes we have that too, the service providers just dont care and if their workers get away with murder and never follow code.

Thanks for that @Adubs :+1:

Sorry to hear that. I’ve gotta say it’s not too bad here…unless something goes wrong!

Hello all, little update but as a result of your gratefully received advice, I’m thinking of some middle ground. Those 10G switches are more money than I’d prefer to spend, and getting one with PoE seems tough…sooooo. One new plan would be to get an 8 Port PoE with 2 x SFP ports for the house - and use the 1GB fibre, and I’ll add unplugged CAT for redundancy.

So I’d have this going between office and house:

1Gb fibre
10Gb fibre (within office and directly to the server in the house)
2 x CAT6 (unplugged)
lecky (electric)
phone line (for connecting to modem)

I already have an 8 port PoE switch with 2 x SFP, so I only need to get another, probably the same make as I’m comfy with the config :slight_smile:

The main reason is because I am concerned about lightning strikes (although uncommon here), but it also removes other electrical/conductivity issues.

Just a few more posts to set in concrete to hold the shuttering and then we’re ready for the hardcore, steel mesh and concrete pour. Then we’re paaaatiently waiting for the slab to dry and it’s on with the blockwork

4 Likes

The duct work has begun. Just need to throw some gravel over it, I have tied it to the fence to keep it out the way of the pour.

I’ve shoved a pipe in the ground too, so that I have a water feed in the future, if I get around to putting a loo in.

2 Likes

Made a hole in the ground for a loo‽ That’s… uh… a real man cave you got there Chris…

Well, not sure when I’ll get round to doing it, would be nice though, and saves me walking to the house…all 30 steps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aren’t there any bushes by the office?

1 Like

Alas there is not, but initially I will have a bucket placed on a chair…because I’m one of the elite.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey all, just in case anyone’s interested in progress, I’ve updated this thread with pics: [UK] Build log for new Office Building (Build Stage) - #15 by ChrisA

1 Like